Wrestling Meets CTU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wrestling Meets CTU

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kane
Owner
Owner
kane

Number of posts : 2191
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010   Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 7:36 pm

I will post articles that have nothing to do with WWE or TNA in here. That are from this year only.
Back to top Go down
https://wrestling-meets-ctu.forummotion.com
kane
Owner
Owner
kane

PostSubject: Re: Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010   Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 7:38 pm

DDP Talks Returning To Wrestling, Who He Watches, Orton & More
By Raj Giri | October 19, 2010

Recently Low Blow Radio and The Unrated Hour featured Diamond Dallas Page on their show last week. Here are some highlights from the interview:

On watching WWE and TNA today: "I watch Cody Rhodes a lot since he's a good friend of mine and I've known him since he was 7. Our relationship is really special and I hope he can turn that career of his into something special. I like to watch Randy Orton. I like the fact that he does a version of the Diamond Cutter called the RKO. I think Randy is the best worker in the business. I also like to watch Edge who I think is a great worker as well. As far as TNA goes I like what they're doing with their reality show
after Impact (Reaction)."

On being interested in possibly returning to WWE or TNA: "No, not really. What I'm doing now, Team YRG (fitness program) is what I want to continue doing right now. When I was in WCW I helped over 30 guys live their dream to become pro wrestlers. It was amazing, but now I'm helping people on a whole different level. I'm helping people who have self esteem
issues. I'm helping people who are obese get into shape again."

wrestlinginc.com

Last edited by kane on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner
kane

PostSubject: Re: Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010   Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Playing The Wrestling Blame Game: Putting The Blame On The Many Wrestling Deaths
By:Jacob Waring(Correspondent) on October 18, 2010

With the recent deaths of Lance Cade, Luna Vachon and Giant Gonzalez I have been seriously considering who to blame for the general deaths of pro-wrestlers. I came to the conclusion that no one group or person can fully take all the blame for the deaths of wrestlers over the years.

It's common sense to know that there are contributing factors in play when it come to wrestlers dying and the blame can shift due to the circumstances of one wrestler death. In one case one the blame can be easily be place on one person or promotion while in other cases it can difficult to pin the blame on anyone.

So before I begin I must do the all necessary disclaimer for this particular article. I will be talking groups and some individuals who are to blame but will NOT be saying who to blame the most and will leave that up to you my dear readers.

Sometimes no one is to blame

Not all wrestling deaths are shrouded with controversy and drugs are not always involved. Wrestlers can die due to old age like Classy Freddie Blassie who died with heart failure at 85 and the Fabulous Moolah 84 from surgical complications. Sometimes they die from diseases that have no relation to wrestling like with Gorilla Monsoon who died due to complications with diabetes.
Moolah_original_crop_340x234

Dr. Death Steve Williams and John Tenta aka earthquake both died due to cancer. The Junk Yard Dog died falling asleep on the wheel resulting in his death.

The point is not all wrestlers die in the ways we are used too and the fact is we all gotta die one day.

The Wrestler Themselves

Now we all know wrestlers are portrayed as larger then life figures who seem invincible but in reality they are human and like due to that human quality they make mistakes like any other person. Unfortunately sometimes those mistakes lead to their deaths.

Take Eddie Guerrero for exampled who had battled drug and alcohol addictions in his life but he was successful in becoming clean in the later years of his life to become an exceptional role modal for everyone. Sadly all the drug and alcohol caught up with him resulting in his death. If Guerrero would still be alive today if he had lead a drug/alcohol free life style.

As we know many wrestlers don't die being clean like Guerrero did. The beautiful Miss Elizabeth died of an drug overdoes specifically a combination of alcohol and painkillers. She was only 42 when she died.

Wrestlers have the responsibility to take care of their well being but instead they make unhealthy choices which lead to their deaths.

Promoters And Their Promotions
Vince-mcmahon_crop_340x234

The WWE, TNA, ROH and the many independent promotions could have prevented many of the deaths and tragedies that take place in the wrestling community. Also people like Vince McMahon, Dixie Carter, Dixie Lee Carter-Salinas, Paul Heyman, Bischoff and many others failed to take the appropriate measures to protect their wrestlers and prevent deaths.

Remember that chair shots to the head were a common occurrence until 2007 when it came to light that that years of trauma to Chris Benoit's brain may have led to his actions in the doable murder suicide. Since that incident the WWE has tremendously reduced the risk of concussions and outright banned chair shot to the head. It's sad that it took a devastating tragedy for them to change there ways.

TNA on the other hand still permits chair shots to the head....unproductive chair shots to the head. They also all excessive blading to have there wrestlers lose tons of blood while the WWE ban that as well. TNA basically has an half-assed Wellness Policy as in January of 2009, 43 percentage of the roster is on drugs.

Other wrestling promotions either have a very weak and nonexistent Wellness Policy or have none at all.

Wrestlers of the '80s where on steroids and Promoters wanted their wrestlers big so hence wrestlers felt pressured to compete against wrestlers who are large in order to move and/or move up to the main event. Also Promoters rarely give their wrestlers a break and many of them are wrestling 300 events of the year and also are on the road when they are not wrestling. In order to deal with all that wear and tear wrestlers must resort to painkillers which they get addicted and end up dead due to that addiction.
Picture004_crop_340x234

Promoters basically really do nothing about painkiller addictions and the WWE is really the only promotion that is attempting to change their ways.

The Fans

You must be flabbergasted by the fact that I'm placing the blame on us, the faithful wrestling fans. We the wrestling fans are enablers! Think about it as in the 80's we admired the biggest wrestlers so our childhood hero's turn to steroids to please us and to make it to the main event as the more the fans love them the more likely they will be in the main event scene!

Wrestlers go out to the ring and bang their bodies up 300 hundred times a year. In order please the masses of fans they take painkillers so they can continue to perform at their best for us even if it drives them to their deaths.

You see we get so caught up in cheering our favorite faces and booing the vilest of heels, we forget that we push them to the braking point and sometimes even to death.

The Media

The media made steroids the drug that kills all wrestlers and demonized the WWE to the point where the media pins the blame on the WWE, even it the death of a young wrestler is natural. The media is a vicious machine that is consistently spewing misconceptions about wrestling whether it for political reasons or just to have a good news story.

When the Media goes on a crusade against wrestling they distract the public from the real issues of the WWE. No health insurance for wrestlers, no unions, painkillers and other drug kill wrestlers just just steroids.

If the media was neutral and report the facts and just provide awareness that can help different promotions improve their ways of helping wrestlers thus reducing the death count. Sadly the Media rarely aid in the solution but aids in the problems

Conclusion

You all may not agree on my reasons on placing the blame on the respective parties so I encourage you to state your opinions in the comment section as the issue of wrestling death will be around in the coming decades and the parties at fault should all strive to prevent more wrestlers from becoming another statistic to the ever growing list of dead wrestlers!

bleacherreport.com
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner
kane

PostSubject: Re: Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010   Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Former WWE Star Dave Batista talks facing Lashley in MMA, Going to TNA and Ric Flair Wrestling
by Aaron Glazer - October 21, 2010

Batista said that TNA has sent offers his way, really great ones, but if he’s going to wrestle it will be WWE.

He also stated that he is heartbroken by Ric Flair wrestling due to his great Wrestlemania sendoff.

And on Lashley: “We’re very similar athletes. I think that I’ll be a much better standup fighter, and I think with Cesar’s guidance, I’d dominate him on the ground. I think I’ll be a much more well-rounded fighter than Bobby.”

Source: wrestling.insidepulse.com
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner
kane

PostSubject: Re: Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010   Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Quote :
This article has to do with both WWE and TNA so I will posted it in here.

To WWE and TNA: Where Have the Wrestling Managers Gone?
By:Peter Hopey(Correspondent) on November 9, 2010

For as long as we have been watching grown men toss each other from pillar to post in little tight spandex outfits snuggling their junk, there have always been other fundamental players that were integral to what we often refer to in this day and age as “sports entertainment”. Hands down, without a doubt, the main combatants in a match are clearly the feature attraction.

They’re the guys who are on the billboards, the people typically moving merchandise, and the names around whom the pay-per-views are built. But the fact remains: There are other supporting players who, hidden behind the curtain, have historically played a crucial part in not only the outcomes of matches, but in their overall execution.

It’s 2010, and we find ourselves at a point in the evolution of the product where the manager is no more. And in my opinion, that is leaving a big hole in the sport today, one that used to be filled by such greats as "Bobby the Brain" Heenan, the “Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart, and “The First Lady of Wrestling” Miss Elizabeth. And I’m hoping that in the very near future, we’ll see another shift in this direction. Well, I can always hope; can’t I?

Back in the '80s, managers were perceived as being just as critical to a match as the participants. You had to pay almost as much time watching them work their character as you did keeping your eyes on the match itself. They could toss in foreign objects, they could distract the referee whilst shenanigans were going on behind his back, and they could generate heel heat or face support for their guy or gal at the drop of a hat.

Their roles were a very integral part of the event. So how did we get to where we are today, and why has their been such an apparent shift away from managers? Do we need them back? Let’s go exploring, Dora and Diego!

I started watching wrestling in earnest when I was about nine or 10 years old. I had been following it a bit before then, mostly through old AWA magazines that I’d pick up at a local flea market my dad would drag me to every Sunday. As a means to procure my silence, he’d usually toss me a buck or so, and set me loose in the maze of junk. My goal, as expeditiously as possible, was to rid myself of that toxic substance called money.

The favourites of the day included guys like Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Roddy Piper, and Randy Savage. And it was quite common for anyone who was anyone to have a manager.

Some managers were better than others, but there was a select group of individuals who were effectively the A List of the day. And each seemed to come with a bit of a specialty. One was good at taking bumps and getting physical in the ring. Another was used more as a distraction for referees so that perhaps the wrestler could do some dirty work. Still others were there to primarily offer his or her voice where the wrestlers themselves were not ready for prime time.

And in my day there were some GREAT managers. There were a few that were clear leaders in their class. I have my personal preferences and in no particular order, here are my three

1. Bobby Heenan (“The Brain” or “The Weasal”)—In my opinion, this guy was the best of the best, the crème de la crème as they say (not the TNA THEY, I mean some other "they"). He was multitalented. He could talk, and take bumps with the best of them. Heenan had spent time IN the ring wrestling which clearly worked to his advantage. Whether it was being in charge of the Heenan Family, or whether it was during his time in the booth on colour, he was fantastic. Who can forget such pearls of wisdom as “You don’t have to yell at me, I’m not blind,” and “Stu Hart trained all his kids, only three of them use the litter box.”

2. Miss Elizabeth ("The First Lady Of Wrestling”)—The on screen (and off screen until their divorce) love interest of one Randy Macho Man Savage, Miss Elizabeth brought class and style to the ring. Whether she was intent on cheering on her man in battle or at other times, playing “damsel in distress” (which of course made for a distraction for Macho and often resulted in him receiving a good beating as he was busy trying to keep her “safe"). She said little if anything, but simply played the petite and loyal fair lady. She always looked fantastic. Not trashy, not with half of her body exposed, and as boys/young men, we found her captivating.

3. Jimmy Hart (The Mouth Of The South)—If you couldn’t see this little tyrant in his often multicoloured apparel, you need only listen for his trademark megaphone and high pitched squeal of a voice and you would know of his presence. Jimmy wasn’t quite as good as taking bumps as Heenan, but he still was on the receiving end of more then one slam or punch in his day. And he earned his money. He was probably most known as the Hart Foundation’s manager who on more than one occasion, would toss his bullhorn into the ring only for one of his boys to clobber the opponent and secure the win.
Mrfuji_crop_340x234

There were various others who made their mark including Mr. Fuji, Jim Cornette, Paul Bearer, and Sensational Sherri. They all had an impact, and they all added value to the product. Managers typically perform one or more of a variety of different functions.

Speaking on Behalf of the Wrestler

Let’s use Khali for an example. Unless you speak “Khalize”, no one has a clue what in blue blazes that guy is supposed to be saying. He was originally managed by Daivari, however most of us probably associate him with his current (on again off again) manager Ranjin Singh. Khali is more attraction than superstar. But without a manager/translator, there is little chance many of us would care if he won or lost his matches (hardcore Khali and hometown fans notwithstanding).

Another guy who falls into that same category was the late Andre the Giant. Andre had a pretty think accent and people didn’t much have a clue what he was saying. So having Bobby the Brain Heenan as his manager was a great move. Heenan generated heat with his over the top statements and mannerisms and without a doubt, was able to help develop the “either you love him or hate him” response for Andre.

Promoting the Wrestler as a “Top Guy”
Jimmyhart_crop_340x234

Make no mistake; Shawn Michaels was a singles superstar in the waiting. He had already been a huge success with the flying Alcoholic Marty Jannety. Eventually, he was launched as a singles wrestler. Well, we all know how that turned out. But at the beginning, no one was sure how the crowd would react.

After smashing his best buds face through the window on an installment of The Barbershop (or whatever that horrible show Hogan’s BFF was running at the time), he clearly had a HUGE amount of heat. But there was still some doubt as to whether that would translate to popularity.

As a bit of an insurance policy, he was given a manager in the form of Sensational Sherri. She had managed a lot of top talent already and was credible (meaning they didn’t just pair her with anyone). So the mere fact that Shawn started toting her to the ring told the crowd “oh, and by the way, this guy is good enough to have Sherri walking him to the ring, so he’s the real deal and pay attention.”

Interfering in the matches

Having a manager included in the mix is an immediate license to cheat. More often than not, it was the supposed baddies that had managers. There were usually a couple of ways things could play out. On one hand, the manager could help the bad guys gain an advantage (by tossing in a foreign object, distracting the ref while something underhanded happened in front of all the other eyes in the building, or maybe even hitting a good guy himself). In a guy like Jimmy Hart’s case, the megaphone came into play a lot.
Flairfortune_original_crop_340x234

Sometimes the bad guys used it to secure victory. In other cases, one heel tag partner accidentally smacked the other (while perhaps trying to hit a good guy). This meant that at any given time the element of cheating could introduce itself to the match and thus, a win or loss was never guaranteed for either side.

Advancing the Storyline

There were different points along the way when managers got dropped smack dab in the middle of an angle. The one that comes to mind is back when Savage and Hogan were the “Megapowers”. Savage had always been bringing Miss Elizabeth to the ring as his manager. Over the course of a few weeks, events ensued causing Savage to question her loyalty and to wonder if there was something going on between his sweetie and the Hulkster. So Savage and Hogan met at Wrestlemania V with Hogan winning, and Savage going to the locker room solo.

So here we are in 2010 and when you look at the big two (I almost laughingly include TNA in the same category as WWE simply because if nothing else, they both have big tv deals) and there are few managers left. In fact, it seems as if the manager is a dying breed.

Within TNA we have only about two roster members who might qualify as managers and they are Chelsea, and the more recent edition Cookie (Robbie E’s dreadful tagalong). And you could likely make the argument that these two are more valets then managers. There’s a fine line between a valet and a manager. I tend to believe it comes down to how the resource is used.
Laycoolkaval_crop_340x234

For some reason the idea of managers having some level of consultation with the wrestler or team in the course of the match is a big sticking point for me (as silly as that seems). You never see valets or assistants do that. When you have a manager, it’s almost standard issue that at some point they’ll be huddled together talking strategy. I’m stretching it a bit here, work with me…

Over in the WWE you have Ranjin Singh, Vickie Guerrero and Paul Bearer. That’s it. In a time where WWE has overtly stated on numerous occasions that it’s attempting a youth movement, there is no other time than the present to start giving guys like Tyler Reks and Trent Barreta some serious management help to try and help elevate them.

I mean, let’s look at the two most recent examples at managers. They would be Dolph Ziggler’s pairing with Vickie and then Kaval’s playpals Michelle McCool and Layla. In both cases, I seriously think that the performers benefited in a BIG way. I mean, I kid you not, I didn’t for one second think that Kaval had anything to offer whatsoever. Heck, I was pretty sure that my nine-year-old could have beat him down. But as soon as Lay-Cool started hanging around him, I started taking him a bit more seriously.

And it’s due to reason No. 2 (promoting the wrestler as a top guy) in my short list of four. When creative takes arguably their top two divas and links them at the hip with an NXT guy, I think the NXT guy is someone I am supposed to believe has the right stuff. Now forget about he fact that he’s not getting jack for a push anymore it seems, but at the time, I really started to think Kaval had a chance.
Kimchee_crop_340x234

And the shining example of a manager making a difference is with Vickie Guerrero. As with Kaval, I was really on the fence with him as a performer. He seemed solid with his moves, but Ziggler? C’mon…We all know where that reference came from. So it was tough to buy into him. But once you stuff “excuse me” at his hip, I really started looking at him differently.

First for reason No. 2, but then reason No. 4 (advancing the storyline) started factoring in. With the introduction of Caitlyn as a means to initiate a girl feud of sorts, Vickie was clearly involved in a fairly solid angle which regular watchers such as myself started to appreciate. And I wasn’t sure I would ever say that. Sometimes I even amaze myself.

And managers are not to be confused with leaders of factions. Ric Flair is definitely not a manager at this point, nor is Wade Barrett. Both are active in the ring as is Jeff Hardy (who I think is technically the leader of THEY as the champion right? Or is he…that’s all so confusing and silly…).

Not to be prejudice, but I believe the best managers are ultimately males who can take bumps. I think there was a lot more you could do with someone like The Weasal than you could with Elizabeth. Now again, they each had their place. Liz could play the damsel in distress card and all that jazz, but you never saw her get choke slammed or anything. The Brain was tossed over the ropes, into the cage, and onto the floor almost every other match I saw him in.

Assuming all things are equal (in that he and Liz could both talk, get generally involved in storylines, and validate the wrestler they were paired with), I think Heenan could do more physically and thus, he made for a more versatile manager. Certainly the fact that he was a former wrestler and could come up with one-liners that would make Yogi Berra blush didn’t hurt.

Why did the manager seem to go the way of the dinosaur? I think that over time, the almighty dollar has become so important that the short-sighted creative teams have determined that if you can’t go in the ring, then you don’t belong on the payroll. And if that’s the case, then they are very misguided indeed. The main goal of creative should be to get wrestlers over. And with the right manager, you can take guys to the moon. The Hart Foundation took off once they got Jimmy Hart on their team. The Bodydonnas would have been NOTHING without Sunny. Managers can make all the difference in the world.

There certainly a couple of good candidates for managers that are available today. I truly believe that the Nature Boy has a heel manager in him that is dying to break free. I am of the opinion that Ric Flair should not be in the ring in a wrestling capacity anymore. I think he has really taken a bath in terms of his historical significance given his recent willingness to seemingly blade at a moment’s notice. We’ll all eventually look upon the high points of his career with more fondness then the last years, but the fact remains: It isn’t fun to watch. He has ALL of the criteria that make for a great manager. I don’t want to see this guy have a coronary in the ring.

The other guy who I think could perform well in a manager role is none other than Santino Marella. That guy is more over OUTSIDE the ring than in it. I mean, picture him escorting the ladies to the ring and then using the three minute match time from bell to pin working the crowd with his usual antics…Sadly, sometimes his segments are what save the day. And what does that say about the state of wrestling?

Kim Chee made Kamala better, Heenan made Haku and Andre better than they were just by talking for them, and Mr. Fuji made me hate the big dumb mute Yokozuna by throwing dirt in people’s faces. Without the great managers of the day, none of those wrestlers would have achieved the same level of success on their own.

Source: bleacherreport.com
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner
kane

PostSubject: Re: Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010   Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:01 pm

Quote :
Kurt Angle Says A WWE Return Is Possible, A.M. Raw Rating
Posted By Andy Steven on Thursday, November 11th, 2010

The Nov. 6 episode of A.M. Raw drew a 0.52 cable rating, with 646,000 viewers. The rating is way down from the previous week’s 1.04 figure.

TNA Superstar Kurt Angle said “anything is possible” today on his Facebook account in regards to a possible return to WWE.

“A lot of you want me back in WWE. I appreciate your kind words. I love TNA but anything is possible,” he wrote. “Dixie Carter has been wonderful to me. She cares about my well being. That means more to me than anything. So I would never count out WWE, but TNA is my loyalty right now.”

Source: pwmania.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010   Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Other wrestling atricles/Ramdom wrestling atircles 2010
Page 1 of 1