Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kane
Owner
Owner

Number of posts : 2121
Registration date : 2008-01-06

PostSubject: Ramdom News Atricles   Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:17 pm

In here I will post news atricles. That are only this year 2010.

Here are some songs that are in my head right now.

?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrestling-meets-ctu.forummotion.com
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Quote :
Vets stand guard over Christian flag in NC town
By TOM BREEN, Associated Press Writer Tom Breen, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 2 mins ago

KING, N.C. – The Christian flag is everywhere in the small city of King: flying in front of barbecue joints and hair salons, stuck to the bumpers of trucks, hanging in windows and emblazoned on T-shirts.

The relatively obscure emblem has become omnipresent because of one place it can't appear: flying above a war memorial in a public park.

The city council decided last month to remove the flag from above the monument in Central Park after a resident complained, and after city leaders got letters from the American Civil Liberties Union and Americans United for the Separation of Church and State urging them to remove it.

That decision incensed veterans groups, churches and others in King, a city of about 6,000 people 15 miles north of Winston-Salem. Ray Martini, 63, an Air Force veteran who served in Vietnam, launched a round-the-clock vigil to guard a replica Christian flag hanging on a wooden pole in front of the war memorial.

Since Sept. 22, the vigil has been bolstered by home-cooked food delivered by supporters, sleeping bags and blankets donated by a West Virginia man and offers of support from New York to Louisiana.

"This monument stands as hallowed ground," said Martini, a tall, trim man with a tattoo on his right arm commemorating the day in 1988 when he became a born-again Christian. "It kills me when I think people want to essentially desecrate it."

The protesters are concerned not only about the flag, which was one of 11 flying above the memorial when it was dedicated six years ago, but about a metal sculpture nearby depicting a soldier kneeling before a cross.

"I won't let it fall," Martini said. "I have already told the city, before you can take it down, I'll tie myself to it and you can cut me down first."

The identity of the resident who complained about the flag, a veteran of the Afghanistan war, has not been made public. But the state chapter of the ACLU has no problem with the vigil.

"We were concerned when the city was sponsoring the Christian flag, but we don't have any concern with veterans groups displaying the flag," legal director Katy Parker said. "We think it's great the city is offering citizens a chance to express their opinions."

The protesters, though, aren't satisfied with the vigil. They're planning an Oct. 23 rally in support of their ultimate goal, which is for the city to restore the Christian flag to the permanent metal pole on the memorial.

At a recent public hearing, roughly 500 people packed the King Elementary School gymnasium, many waving Christian flags. Of more than 40 speakers, no one spoke in favor of removing it.

"We've let our religious freedoms and constitutional rights be stripped away one by one, and I think it's time we took a stand," King resident James Joyce said.

Mayor Jack Warren said the city won't make a decision until it can go over its options with legal counsel. One possibility is designating a flag pole at the memorial for the display of any religious emblem, he said. Another is selling or donating the memorial to a veterans organization, essentially privatizing it.

"What it comes down to is: What can we do and what can't we do, what's legal and what's illegal?" he said.

Created by a pastor in New York City a little over a century ago, the flag, which sets a red cross in a blue square in the upper left corner of a white field, has been used by both liberal and conservative Protestant churches, but rarely draws much attention, according to Elesha Coffman, a history professor at Waynesburg University.

"I would guess most churchgoing Protestants in America have never even noticed if there is a Christian flag in their own sanctuary," she said. "It's just kind of there, unless there's a controversy, and suddenly people pick it up."

In King, it's virtually inescapable. Gullion's Christian Supply Center, an area retailer, has sold hundreds of flags since the dispute began, according to Leanne Gay, who was running a tent at Calvary Baptist Church in King where everything from Christian flag decals to T-shirts were for sale.

"In the first couple weeks, we were running out of flags every two hours or so," she said.

The Rev. Kevin Broyhill, pastor at Calvary Baptist, donated the flag now flying at the vigil. But Broyhill thinks having it returned permanently to the memorial is a losing legal strategy. He wants the city to transfer the memorial to a veterans group, which would make it private land.

"Right now, the judges on the Fourth Circuit Court are very liberal," he said. "This battle's already been fought in court."

Broyhill is probably right, according to Larry Little, a lawyer and professor of political science at Winston-Salem State University.

"They know they'd lose," he said of the city council. "They would have to use taxpayers' money to defend what any lawyer worth a grain of salt could tell them is a violation of the separation of church and state."

For veterans who say they're honoring the sacrifices of fallen comrades or Christians who say they're defending their faith, though, such a compromise seems like a sellout.

"That's an easy out," said Eugene Kiger, who has been part of the vigil since the beginning. "The people here saw what was happening and said, 'Somebody has stood up. It's time to stand up with them.'"

?

Last edited by kane on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:12 pm

Quote :
From Kitchen Cabinet to Medicine Cabinet: 9 Beauty Substitutes You Already Have
by The Staff at wowOwow.com, on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52am PDT

Honey and sugar and mint, oh my! Author and beauty expert Barbara Hannah Grufferman shares how pantry staples could stand in for your beauty standy-bys

White Sugar:

According to Dr. Patricia Wexler, exfoliating is one of the most important things we can do for the health of our skin. Best-selling author and makeup artist Carmindy reveals that plain old white sugar is one of the best exfoliators around. Keep a jar of it in your shower. Take a handful and gently massage your entire body with it, using a soft washcloth. Rinse and the sugar crystals simply melt away down the drain. So much better than eating it!

Olive Oil:

The ancient Romans knew what they were doing when they slathered olive oil on every part of their bodies, saving a little for their hair. Keep a plastic ketchup bottle (the kind you see in old diners) filled with olive oil in your bathroom. Add a few drops of lavender oil (or whatever fragrance you prefer). After exfoliating, pat your skin until it’s almost dry, then massage a small amount of oil all over your body. Result? Skin like velvet. After your hair is dry, massage a few drops of oil in your palms and, bending over, scrunch a bit of it into the ends.

Honey:

Who knew that honey is equally effective for treating colds and improving your looks? Applying honey all over your face is beneficial, since it contains vitamins and moisturizes. It's also a natural antibiotic that can kill bacteria. Add a little white sugar and exfoliate with it in the shower, too.

Lemon Juice:

There are so many things you can do with lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed). Soak your nails in them (without polish) to reduce yellowing, and brush your teeth with a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice for whiter teeth. And best of all, take a tablespoon or two of freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix into a tall glass of warm water. Drink it before ingesting anything else, first thing in the morning. It’s a great way to hydrate and jump-start your system.

Crisco (or some other vegetable shortening):

Crisco is a surprisingly effective makeup remover, and it’s also highly effective in treating eczema. Apply the shortening to infected areas, and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse, and apply a little olive oil.

Yogurt:

Yogurt is a highly effective treatment for the common skin condition rosacea. It has the ability to soften the skin while calming the redness — especially after eating something spicy or enjoying a little too much heart-healthy red wine. Simply apply it as a mask, and leave on for about 15 minutes. Rinse, and apply a light layer of olive oil.

Parsley and Mint:

Bad breath is common, and usually avoidable. Steer clear of the store-bought mouth rinses and gargles, as they tend to make matters worse. Simply brush your tongue when you brush your teeth, drink lots of water to keep your mouth hydrated and chew on a few sprigs of parsley or mint, since studies have shown that these freshen breath instantly. Keep a plastic bag filled with the sprigs in your purse at all times.

Green Tea Bags:

Green tea is one of the best things you can drink (along with lots of water, and red wine in moderation). For a great de-puffing eye treatment, try soaking a few bags in water and sticking them in the freezer. Place on your eyes, lower the lights and ... relax.

Apple Cider Vinegar:

Exfoliating is one of the best things we can do for our skin. Chemical peels done at your dermatologist's office are highly effective, though often expensive. But a simple application of apple cider vinegar works, too. Soak a cotton ball in it and apply all over the face, keeping away from the eyes; leave on for at least 45 minutes. After you rinse, follow with a light application of olive oil.

Source: shine.yahoo.com

?

Last edited by kane on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Quote :
The Secret Fast-Food Diet
By David Zinczenko Oct 25, 2010

You can melt away flab without setting foot in a gym, sacrificing your favorite foods, or eating less. Sounds crazy, right? It’s not. The secret is knowing how to swap your favorite foods smartly. If you know that choosing one fast-food burger over another can save you dozens of pounds a year, or understood a simple ordering trick that could help your body melt belly flab, you'd make those smart choices every time, right? Well, you're about to discover them!

Erika BowenA few years ago I asked people to start following the simple "smart swap" eating principles from Eat This, Not That! A few months later the letters started pouring in, and they haven't stopped. Erika Bowen of Minneapolis, Minnesota (pictured right), told me she dropped 84 pounds—without dieting. “I feel like I’ve always wanted to feel,” she said. “Other people are finally seeing me the way I’ve always seen myself.” Once she discovered the truth about her food, she learned she could lose weight and never feel hungry.

The point is this: You can eat fast food and still get a flat belly. You just have to do it the right way. The costs of the wrong way? According to a 2005 study from the medical journal the Lancet, people who eat fast food more than twice a week carry 10 more pounds of body fat than those who eat fast food fewer than once a week. What’s more, fast food eaters have a higher rate of insulin resistance, which puts them at risk for diabetes.

So the risk is there. But fast food needn’t be a health threat, nor does it have to make you fat. You just have to develop a few healthy habits, the very best (and also easiest) of which I've outlined for you here:

Secret #1: Don't fall for combos
At every fast food restaurant, as soon as you decide on an entrée, expect to face some variation of this question: “Would you like to make it a combo meal?” Of course you’re tempted. This is the modern-day equivalent of supersizing, wherein you get an average of 55 percent more calories for 17 percent more money. It’s also the cheapest way for excess sugar, salt and lard to get you fat in a hurry. Just say no.

Secret #2: Chew it over
Just because it’s fast food doesn’t mean you should inhale it as quickly as possible. A 2009 study by Dutch researchers found that chewing each bite for 3 extra seconds could help you consume fewer calories overall. The reason? The extra chewing helps your brain register the food, and thus, helps you feel full quicker. (In my job overseeing Men's Health and Women's Health magazines, I discover the best new health and nutrition tips every day. You can too, if you follow me right here on Twitter.)

Secret #3: Beware the "health halo"
What’s the health halo? It’s the misguided assumption that meals served from “healthy” chains are always better for you than those served from unhealthy ones. Consider this: A study from the Journal of Consumer Research asked diners at Subway and McDonald’s to estimate the number of calories in their meals, and although both groups underestimated the actual amount, the Subway diners were off by a larger margin. The reason? When seduced by the promise of a healthy meal, diners tend to order more food.

Bonus Tip: For outrageous examples of foods that sound healthy but actually aren’t, click here to open 25 “Healthy” Foods That Aren’t in a new window.

Secret #4: Side with Wendy’s Chili
Compared to a large fry, a small chili at Wendy’s provides 25 percent more food and three times as much belly-filling protein. Plus, it saves you an astounding 320 calories. Pair it with a Jr. Cheeseburger for one of the most powerful fast food meals with fewer than 500 calories.

Secret #5: Give milk shakes the cold shoulder
The dessert world has no villain more treacherous than the milk shake, which essentially consists of two beasts tied together. Beast #1: liquefied sugar; beast #2: liquefied fat. It should come as no surprise, then, that these unassuming cups rarely carry fewer than 700 calories, and often they hold well over a thousand. If you need a dessert, head to the ice cream shop. There you'll find single-scoop cones for about 200 calories.

Secret #6: Beware the deli “salad”
On most menus, salad denotes some leaf-based bowl of veggies. On a deli menu, it more likely means chicken, egg, or tuna suspended in a massive glut of fatty mayo. Just say no and you’ll avoid monstrosities like Quizno’s 1,520-calorie Tuna Melt, which essentially consists of tuna salad glued to bread by a blanket of melted cheese. (Speaking of horrendous salads, we found 20 Salads Worse than a Whopper!)

Secret #7: Think thin (crust)
Want to know the easiest way to make a portly pizza? It has nothing to do with toppings. The biggest problem facing your pie is the massive loaf of oily bread hunkering along the bottom. Three deep-dish slices from a large Domino’s pie, before toppings, will cost you 1,050 calories. Switch over to a thin crust and you just burned off 360 calories without lifting a finger. Who knew losing weight was so easy?

Secret #8: Order a cappuccino over a latte
What’s the difference? Cappuccinos are built with a base of steamed milk, which means more air and fewer calories. At Starbucks, ordering a Grande Cappuccino with 2% milk will save you 70 calories over a latte with the same specs. Do that on a daily basis and you’ll eliminate nearly 500 calories from your weekly intake.

Secret #9: Go Fresco at Taco Bell
Is it gimmicky that Taco Bell has branded its Fresco Menu the “Drive-Thru Diet”? Of course, but the truth is the options are surprisingly balanced. No single item has more than 340 calories, and they all come with a stomach-filling blend of protein and fiber. Try this: 2 Fresco Crunchy Tacos with a side of Pintos ‘n Cheese. It'll cost you a mere 470 calories and pad your belly with 24 grams of protein and half your day’s fiber.

Secret #10: Choose bacon over sausage
In the breakfast meat battle, no meat trumps ham. But when it comes to flavor-rich fatty cuts, bacon takes sausage every time. Consider this: At Dunkin’ Donuts, ordering a Bacon, Egg & Cheese Sandwich on English Muffin has 150 fewer calories than the same sandwich built with sausage.

Secret #11: Skip the soda … and the juice and sweet tea
Here’s a fact overlooked by most diet plans: Liquid calories represent a bigger threat to your belly than food calories. A study from The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that after six months, subjects who cut 100 daily calories from sweetened beverages lost five times more weight than people who cut 100 daily calories from food.

(Want to know how to eliminate fluid flab without living in total deprivation? Drink This, Not That! covers everything you need to know to sip your way to a flat belly--without dieting or deprivation.)

Secret #12: Order by number
When Stanford researchers studied how posted calorie information at Starbucks affected customer decisions, they found that the average calorie load per order dropped by 6 percent. Use it to your advantage: If your fast food restaurant offers nutritional info, study it. If not, they will soon. A hidden mandate in this year’s health care reform requires fast food chains to begin posting calorie information within the next year.

Secret #13: Go to Chipotle, but skip the burrito
The best thing about Chipotle is that the menu is built on the shoulders of nutritionally powerful meats, beans, and salsas. The bad news: The tortilla. Each manhole-sized burrito wrap carries 290 calories, most of which come from refined carbs. Make the switch from a Chicken Burrito to a Chicken Burrito Bowl and you’re dropping from about 850 to 560 calories. Or better yet, make it a salad with salsa instead of dressing and you end up with a nutritionally stacked, 440-calorie meal.

Bonus Tip: Want more stories like this delivered to your inbox each day? You can–for free! Sign up for the Eat This, Not That! newsletter.

Secret #14: Build your own sandwich
The unfortunate truth about deli subs is that they often come slathered with oils and sauces that you would never consider using in your own kitchen. At Quizno’s, for instance, most large sandwiches earn more than 200 calories from dressing alone. Some approach 400 calories. That’s why your best bet, no matter who’s doing the making, is to control the show yourself. Pair a whole-grain bread with a lean meat like turkey, ham, or roast beef, and then load up on vegetables without sullying it with mayo or oil.

Secret #15: “Hold the mayo”
Get used to that phrase, especially when you’re at Burger King. Mayo alone contributes 160 calories to each Whopper and 210 calories to each Tendercrisp Chicken Sandwich. Switch to ketchup or barbecue sauce and consider those calories in the bank.

Secret #16: Grill the chicken at KFC
An Extra Crispy 2-Piece Breast and Wing Meal at KFC—before you add sides—packs in 700 calories and 1,420 mg sodium. Order it grilled instead and the toll drops to a mere 290 calories and 710 mg sodium. Total savings: 410 calories and 50 percent of the heart-wrecking sodium. Make a swap like that once a day and you’ll drop more than 7 pounds in two months.

Secret #17: Call in the dogs
Hot dogs trump burgers in 99 percent of nutritional matchups. At A&W you save 130 calories when you order a Chili Dog over a Papa Single Burger. At Five Guys the dog bests the regular burger by 155 calories. Why the savings? It’s simple: portion size. Thanks to an arms race among burger joints, hamburgers today are two to five times bigger than they were 20 years ago. The humble hot dog, however, has remained relatively unchanged.

Secret #18: Skip the secret sauce
There's no secret here at all. Nine times out of ten, the recipe amounts to three parts mayo and one part ketchup with a few wilted herbs tossed in. The total impact amounts to 100 to 200 calories per slather. Ask for mustard instead, or better yet, find a sandwich that holds no secrets.

Bonus Tip: Not all secrets are bad. The 25 Best Nutrition Secrets Ever will help you lose weight and improve your overall health . . . instantly!

Secret #19: Skip the Breakfast Muffins and Bagels
Not only are they deceptively high in calories (a Pumpkin Muffin at Dunkin’ Donuts harbors 600 calories), but they also lack the one nutrient most responsible for keeping you full: protein. See, protein digests slowly, whereas starchy breads pass quickly through the stomach and help pack pudge around your midsection. Avoid the problem by sticking to egg-based sandwiches. My favorite is McDonald’s 300-calorie Egg McMuffin.

Secret #20: Order from the secret menu
Yes, fast food joints often carry items that you won’t find listed among the regular fare. Here are two worth remembering: The Chicken Marinara at Subway makes a great alternative to the Meatball Marinara, and it saves you 260 calories and 19 grams of fat. At Starbucks, ask to have your sweetened coffee drink served from a “short” cup, which you won’t see listed on the menu. Sure it’s small, but it carries half the calories of a grande and allows you to indulge without incuring the wrath of a calorie hangover.

Now that you've mastered the drive-thru, don't let the supermarket make you fat, either. Check out The Shopping-Cart Diet.

------------

MEN'S HEALTH STYLE: The New Rules of Dressing Slimmer

EAT RIGHT RULE: If your food can go bad, it's good for you. If it can't go bad, it's bad for you. FOLLOW DAVE ZINCZENKO ON TWITTER and get FREE health, nutrition and weight-loss secrets like this one every day!

Check out these cutting-edge guides to fast and easy weight loss, the brand-new Men’s Health Big Book of Exercises and Women’s Health Big Book of Exercises.

Get more nutrition, health, and fitness secrets from Men's Health: Subscribe today with this special offer and save 50% off the cover price.

Source: Yahoo Health

?

Last edited by kane on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Quote :
How old is too old for trick-or-treating?
by Mira Jacob, Shine staff / Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Have you ever looked out your peephole and felt scared of a trick-or-treater? You're not alone. Mayor Mark Eckhert of Belleville, Ill., says he's heard a ton of complaints from frightened single mothers and senior citizens who are less than happy about the “6-foot-tall kids” that ring their doorbells on Halloween. His solution: To create an ordinance banning high-school teenagers—that is, anyone over the age of 12—from trick-or-treating.

"When I was a kid my father said to me, 'You're too damn big to be going trick-or-treating. You're done,’" Eckhert told ABC News. "When that doesn't happen, then that's reason for the city governments to intervene."
Intervening, in this case, means putting an age limit on trick-or-treaters, and threatening the over-12 set with a $100 fine for those who ignore the law—though, according to ABC, that fine has rarely, if ever, been actually meted out. And while some residents of Belleville have complained about the ordinance, it seems that many more are relieved. Trick-or-treat age limits have also been popular in townships in South Carolina, Mississippi, Maryland, and Virginia.

However comforting these restrictions may be to some, we can't help but wonder: Are laws the right way to go when we're teaching kids about becoming better adults?

Because, honestly, many of us—myself included— were teenage trick-or-treaters. How it happened for me is probably less important than why (I can try to blame other factors, but the truth is, I just loved free candy). You know when you're aware that you are doing something wrong, but you do it anyway, hoping that you'll pass unnoticed? Well, I quickly learned I couldn't: “You gotta be kidding,” one neighbor said, staring sadly at my baby costume, slamming his door, and providing a necessary behavior adjustment all in one swift move.

While I learned my lesson through good, old-fashioned (and effective) humiliation, Eckhert and others believe that creating laws takes the guesswork away from those unclear about when they are no longer eligible for receiving treats. But not everyone is convinced that excluding teens from the relatively tame activity of trick-or-treating is a great idea. "Trick-or-treating in a large part is embraced in this country because it serves to cut down on teenage vandalism," University of North Dakota history professor and early traditions expert, Hans Broedel, told ABC News. "Certainly telling teenagers they can't go trick-or-treating isn't going to stop them from going out on Halloween and doing whatever."

What do you think? Should overage kids be legally banned from trick-or-treating? And how old is too old for trick-or-treating?

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 am

Quote :
Joy Bauer's Guide to Avoiding Holiday Weight Gain
By Joy Bauer, RD /by Woman's Day, on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:53pm PDT

Halloween marks the beginning of the holiday season—a fun time of year for enjoying friends and family, but also filled with edible booby traps! Candy for trick-or-treaters is everywhere, and pretty soon we’ll be seeing Thanksgiving pies and Christmas cookies, too. But that doesn’t have to mean you’re destined to herald the new year with extra padding. All you need is some coaching on how to handle the temptations.

Halloween

Let’s start with Halloween, because it’s right around the corner. This holiday may be marketed to kids, but grownups often use it as an excuse to indulge in their favorite sweets. Not a problem if you limit yourself to Halloween night itself, but that can be difficult, since the candy onslaught begins well before the 31st and often lingers for days (sometimes weeks) after. You can survive the caloric nightmare with these three simple guidelines:

1. Buy the bare minimum of candy you think you’ll need for trick-or-treaters.
2. Don’t open the bags until October 31.
3. Give away the leftovers the day after Halloween.

If you really don’t want to part with all the extra candy you bought for the trick-or-treaters, allow yourself (and your kids) to keep eight to 10 favorite snack bars or mini bags, and portion them out— one or two per day—as long as they last. For your kids, they make perfect portion-controlled lunchbox or after-dinner treats. For you, one fun-size bar can be substituted for your usual afternoon snack, or you can enjoy 150 calories’ worth of Halloween goodies as your “Everyday Extra” (if you’re following our Slimdown diet and you’ve reached Step 3. Visit WomansDay.com/Slimdown for more information). Photo: Thinkstock

Opt for these portion-controlled treats when indulging in Halloween candy.

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Beyond

As for the rest of the holiday season, my tried-and-true “Food Rules” will help you maintain a steady weight despite all the caloric temptations at parties and dinners. Start following them as soon as possible.

Don’t skip meals. When you allow yourself to get too hungry, you run the risk of eating more (unhealthy) food later and wasting calories on fattening treats you didn’t really want to eat in the first place. Instead, eat on a schedule, and enjoy three meals and one or two 100- to 150-calorie snacks every day.

Bank your calories. Whether it’s a holiday party, Thanksgiving or Christmas, if dinner is going to be a feast or you’ll be grazing on hors d’oeuvres, save on calories throughout the day by choosing a breakfast, lunch and snacks that are heavy on lean protein (chicken, fish, turkey) and veggies, and light on fat, sugar and starch. Protein and fiber are the most filling nutrients around, so even though you’ll be eating fewer calories, you’ll still feel satisfied.

Drink lots of water—including two glasses before lunch and two glasses before dinner. Mild dehydration mimics the sensation of hunger, and drinking water prior to a meal starts to fill you up before you take your first bite of food so you’ll eat less.

Eat plenty of "Unlimited Foods" throughout the day. These foods contain few or no calories, which is why you can eat as much as you want of them. Make sure you have a variety on hand at all times. This will prevent you from reaching for something less healthy when hunger strikes. Snacking on these foods will also keep you from feeling deprived while you’re saving on calories for a party that night.

Make sure you exercise for 30 to 60 minutes five or more days per week. Exercise goes hand-in-hand with calorie control. It’s also a terrific stress buster—which makes it even more crucial now, because holidays can be a trigger for people prone to stress eating. Try to include some interval training, which means alternating faster-paced bouts of activity (like speedwalking) with slower ones. For example, during a 30-minute walk, try weaving in one or two 3-minute bursts of going as fast as you can.

Have a few not-to-be missed treats. There’s no reason to skip your favorites, whether they be Mom’s turkey gravy, your best friend’s pecan pie or Aunt Ida’s famous deviled eggs. Thoroughly enjoying a holiday includes eating richer fare than you would otherwise, and denying yourself is bound to backfire later. Just eat these goodies only on the holiday itself (if there’s more than one item, have a taste of each), then get back on track the next day. No picking at endless leftovers! Photo: Fuse/Getty

Original article appeared on WomansDay.com.

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Quote :
Meet the Martins: The Human Billboard Family
by Cindy Perman, Staff Writer/Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Martins are an average family: There's Mom, Dad, and 2.2 kids -- Layne (4), Kaitlyn (3) and Alex (due Dec. 31). Except for the fact that they're human billboards. Wherever they go, they're advertising for you -- even when they're on vacation!

Dad Carl said he actually got the idea after hearing about Jason Sadler, the guy who started a mini-T-shirt wearing empire called "I Wear Your Shirt."

"We liked the idea ... but didn't want to copy him directly," Carl Martin said. "We thought we could take the concept and go in a completely different direction with it."

And so, The Billboard Family was born.

Originally, the plan was just to have Martin and wife Amy wear the shirts. But if you've ever had kids, or been on a planet that has kids, you know that kids want to do everything their parents do.

[Click here to check savings products and rates in your area.]

"They started asking questions, asking about these shirts," Martin explained. "And the more we talked to them, they let us know that they were absolutely not going to accept us doing this without them!"

He said when they sat down to take a family vote, the kids were doing flips -- literally.

"They may be more excited about it than we are!" he added. "I ask my son, 'What do you want to do when you grow up?' and he says, 'I'm going to wear shirts like you!'"

Of course, it's great to not have to worry about what clothes your kids -- and, let's be honest, you -- will wear for the day. But beyond that, Martin said it will be a good way to teach his kids self-reliance and business principles -- plus, it will really help set them apart in the T-shirt world.

"One person doesn't draw as much attention as the whole family," he said.

Like the "I Wear Your Shirt" crew, they'll blog, do Facebook and Twitter updates and create YouTube videos to talk to their online community about the company they're wearing and its products. They already have 3,000 followers on Twitter, Carl and Amy each have about 1,500 friends on their individual Facebook pages and "The Billboard Family Introduction" video has already been viewed over 16,000 times on YouTube.

And in case you're wondering, yes, this town is big enough for two T-shirt wearing companies. "I Wear Your Shirt" gets a lot of clients that are targeting their young male (18-35) demographic. The Martins are more focused on family-oriented companies.

"What better spokesperson for a product than the people who will use it?" Martin said. "We travel a lot. ... We go to family shows. ... We talk to a lot of families."

They launched their venture on Sept. 24 but won't start wearing T-shirts until next year.

They've already booked Lylas, an Australian company that makes jewelry and patches for kids, and Esspa Kozmetika, a day spa that's bought 14 days in January.

While they're wearing the spa shirts, they're also going to be testing the spa products and writing reviews of them.

[Biggest Money Mistakes For Couples]

That's one of the major perks of this type of business. Not only will they get to try tons of products for free, but they'll be getting paid no matter where they are -- even if it's on vacation!

Can you imagine, taking the kids to Disney World -- and getting paid for it the whole time!

Perhaps the best part is, it doesn't take a special skill set to wear T-shirts -- you just have to be willing to take a chance and make it up as you go along.

Most people "probably already have skills to start their own business that they're not using," Martin said. "You don't need someone to give you a job; you can create your own job. This is America, after all!"

And the T-shirt's red glare!
The clicks bursting Internet air
Gave proof through the night
That our ad was still there

Oh say does tha-at star-spangled T-shi-irt ye-et wa-ave ...
O'er the land of the free
And the home of the self-employed!

Source: finance.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Quote :
6 ways to save $2,997 a year on food
by The Editors of EatingWell Magazine, on Thu Sep 23, 2010

When I started doing research for our latest book, EatingWell on a Budget, I was blown away by the stats I came across. The one that sums it all up for me: a third of adults and 16 percent of children in the U.S. are obese and the highest obesity rates are associated with the lowest incomes and education levels, according to a survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adam Drewnowski, Ph.D., professor of epidemiology at the University of Washington, says, “Simply put, fats and sweets cost less, whereas many healthier foods cost more.” For many Americans, cooking healthy food on a budget seems impossible.

But it doesn’t need to be that way. A couple years ago we started costing out EatingWell recipes and we found that if you cook at home, with basic, all-natural ingredients, you can make delicious, healthy food for about the same amount it costs to get a fast food meal. All it takes is a little planning, smart shopping and the willingness to actually cook.

Today, with high food prices and a struggling economy, there’s never been a better time to learn how to eat well for less. Whether you are a family trying to make ends meet or are trying to save for kids’ college educations, these are lessons anyone can appreciate.

Here are 6 great ways to save almost $3,000 and recipes to go with them.

1. Eat vegetarian a few nights a week.
Try to include a couple of vegetarian meals in your menu for the week. Skipping meat, even once or twice a week, can help save money, since meat is usually the most expensive part of a meal. And you will have a lighter impact on the environment—almost one-fifth of the world’s manmade greenhouse-gas emissions are generated by the meat industry, according to the United Nations. 27 meatless recipes to try.
Savings: $210 per year. (Replace 1 pound of sirloin [$5.99] with a 14-ounce block of tofu [$1.96] once a week for a year.)

2. Minimize waste.
One of the easiest ways to save money is to make sure you’re not wasting food. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Americans throw out more than 25 percent of the food we prepare. And a study at the University of Arizona that tracked food use and waste from production to the table to the landfill estimated that the average American family of four throws out $590 worth of food each year. So we need to do a better job of using leftovers and learn what to do with food before it’s past its peak. Here are 20 creative ways to use up leftovers, which can help reduce waste.
Savings: $590 per year. (Estimated value of the food an average American household of four wastes in a year.)

3. Plug in the slow cooker.
If you don’t have hours to spend at home tending a braise, then try a slow cooker. It will give you the same effect (i.e., it makes inexpensive cuts of meat meltingly tender), but you can plug it in, leave for the day and come home to a dinner like a Rich Chicken Stew or one of our other easy, healthy slow-cooker recipes. Inexpensive cuts of meat that work wonderfully in the slow cooker include chicken thighs, pork shoulder, beef chuck and brisket.
Savings: $78 per year. (Replace 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast [$4.99] with 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs [$3.49] once a week for a year.)

4. Discover great ways to use canned fish.
Just like their fresh counterparts, canned salmon and tuna provide omega-3 fats, which help keep your heart healthy by lowering triglycerides and blood pressure. The difference: canned fish is significantly cheaper. Here are tons of great recipes for canned tuna.
Savings: $224 per year. (Replace 1 pound of fresh tuna [$7.99] with 1 pound of canned tuna [$3.68] once a week for a year.)

5. Don’t order a pizza. Make one at home.
Ordering pizza seems like a cheap and quick solution for dinner. But a typical pie costs more than $15. You can make your own at home, (like this Sausage, Pepper & Mushroom Pizza (recipe follows) for a lot less and in about the same amount of time delivery takes. Domino’s large, Brooklyn-style Sausage, Pepper & Mushroom Pizza is $17.58 with tax (but not delivery charge) included. Our version is $7.58.
Savings: $520 per year. (Make pizza once a week instead of ordering.)

6. Pack a lunch.
When you’re busy at work, the easiest choice is to grab a bite to eat someplace nearby. The problem is that the cost of buying lunch takes a toll on your food budget. (The average lunch at the national chain Panera Bread, which specializes in sandwiches, soups and salads, is $8.50.) Try bringing a lunch from home. When you make dinner, think about what you’re going to eat for lunch tomorrow. If you’re making a salad, make a little extra and put it in a container, undressed. And what about your leftovers? If you have a little extra chicken or half a can of beans, toss that in with your lunch salad. Make more than you’ll need for dinner, and reheat it for lunch the next day. Here are 19 easy lunch recipes that cost less than $3 per serving.
Savings: $1,375 per year. (Replace an $8.50 lunch with a $3 lunch from home 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year.)

What are your most innovative ways to save money on food?

Sausage, Pepper & Mushroom Pizza
Makes: 6 servings
Active time: 30 minutes | Total: 40 minutes
Cost per serving: under $1.50

This sausage, pepper and mushroom pizza is just a little more work than calling for delivery (but not by much), but there’s no tipping required when you make it yourself. Plus you get it fresh from your oven, and with whole-wheat dough and a generous amount of vegetables on top it’s far better for you.

1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
6 ounces Italian turkey sausage, about 2 large links, casings removed
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup water
1 cup prepared marinara or pizza sauce
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, preferably “fancy”

1. Position oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Roll out or stretch dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a medium nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat, breaking up with a spatula or spoon, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Place bell pepper, mushrooms and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on High until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
4. Spread sauce evenly over the crust. Top with the sausage, pepper and mushrooms and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.

Per serving: 289 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrate; 1 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 3 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Calcium (16% dv).

Ingredient note: Look for balls of whole-wheat pizza dough, fresh or frozen, at your supermarket. Choose a brand without hydrogenated oils.

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:55 am

Quote :
Are texting and Facebook worse for teens than TV?
By BETH J. HARPAZ, Associated Press Beth J. Harpaz, Associated Press – Wed Oct 27,2010

NEW YORK – Let's face it: Teenagers spend hours texting, socializing on Facebook and playing video games. And it's driving their parents nuts.

Sure, there are real dangers associated with all this screen time — everything from cyberbullying to couch-potato obesity. Not to mention driving while texting, shortened attention spans and Internet porn.

But many of today's parents spent hours as kids sitting in front of screens too — only they were TV screens.

Which raises an interesting question: Is Facebook really worse for teenagers' brains than the mindless reruns of "Gilligan's Island" and "The Brady Bunch" that their parents consumed growing up?

Douglas Gentile, a child psychologist and associate professor at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, who studies the effects of media on children, says texting, Facebook and video games are not inherently bad. Nor are they inherently better or worse than watching TV, although they do pose different risks, such as cyberbullying.

But research has shown that the more time kids spend in front of screens — whether it's TV or instant-messaging — the worse their school performance. "That doesn't mean it's true for every kid, but it makes sense, that for every hour a kid is playing video games, it's an hour that they're not doing homework or reading or exploring or creating," he said.

Gentile calls this the "displacement hypothesis. If screen time is displacing doing their homework, that's bad. But if their homework is done, well, so what?"

Gentile, who admits that his own teenager crossed the "9,000 texts in one month barrier" last summer, acknowledged that parents are struggling to adjust to a world in which kids would rather look at words on a cell phone screen than have a conversation.

"The older generation, it's not their culture," he said. "There is a resistance to it."

Watching TV as a family, as mindless as that experience can be, is now regarded with nostalgia by parents. If your kid is sitting in the living room watching "American Idol," you can plop on the sofa with them, and "it's a shared experience," Gentile said. But if they're texting or video-chatting with a friend from school, "it's a private experience. It's like they're whispering secrets. And we find it rude."

Patti Rowlson, a mother of two in Everson, Wash., says this "has been a topic of discussion in our house for years now." She and her husband started out limiting TV time when their kids were little, but "then technology crept in. Cell phones, laptop computers, iPods with Wi-Fi. We, as parents, were no longer in control of screen time because we could not even tell when they were using it."

Recounting a struggle that will sound familiar to many parents, Rowlson said that at first, she and her husband imposed limits on tech use.

"There were battles and even groundings," along with the confiscation of iPods, she said. "We were constantly policing and the kids were constantly getting in trouble. We were trying to fight for the old ways, and it was causing a lot of stress and tension in the family. It was ridiculous. So we loosened up. And it's made everybody happier. We were fighting something that you can't hold back. It's how they communicate with their peers."

What's been the result? Two good kids, she said. "In the end I'm not sure if having boundaries early on helped them or made no difference at all."

Ron Neal, who lives in West L.A., has a teenage daughter who is "tech-driven and passionate about it. ... I don't know how it's going to play out, but I don't have this fear and dread about it."

Neal, who admits to watching a lot of "Gilligan's Island" growing up, added: "We had our minds numbed by TV, and maybe they're looking at useless things on the Internet or YouTube, but I also think they're developing a lot of skills through this technology that we could never comprehend. For my daughter, when she is home, she does have everything going — the TV, the computer, communicating with friends, and doing the homework at the same time."

He admits, though, that there are some frightening aspects to the dependence today's teenagers have on technology. "They are so emotionally connected to being tied in with their friends 24 hours a day, if they get a text, they feel obligated to respond in seconds," he said. He recalled a group of girls showing up for a birthday party at a restaurant, and "everyone of them had their head down, texting."

The explosion in teen screen time is well-documented. A recent Associated Press-mtvU poll found that one-third of college students use computers, cell phones or gaming consoles for six or more hours daily. A Kaiser Family Foundation study published in January found that total media use among 8- to 18-year-olds, including TV, music, computers, video games, print and movies has increased from six hours, 21 minutes daily in 2004 to seven hours, 38 minutes in 2009.

"Try waking a teenager in the morning and the odds are good that you'll find a cell phone tucked under their pillow," the Kaiser report said.

The Kaiser study also found that the more time kids spend with media, the lower their grades and levels of personal contentment are.

Gentile said the impact of screen time on school work can be mitigated by what he calls "protective factors." Those might include good teachers and a high-performing school, love of reading, coming from a family where education is valued, and exposure to experiences that are culturally and intellectually enriching. "If you had all these protective factors," said Gentile, "then that one little risk factor (screen time), who cares?"

He added that surprisingly, the amount of time kids spend watching TV has not declined precipitously with the popularity of computers and gaming, but "they don't pay nearly the attention (to TV) that they used to." The TV might be on, but "they're also instant-messaging, they're on Facebook, they're texting."

One thing parents should worry about, Gentile said, is the way electronic devices encourage multitasking.

"Multitasking is not really good for anyone," he said. "Your reflexes speed up, you're quicker to look over your shoulder and notice little noises or lights. This is not what they need when they get to the classroom and you're supposed to ignore the kid next to you. Scanning to see when the next message comes, this may not be good for kids. The more distractions you have, the worse your performance is." Getting kids to turn off their phones, iPods, and computers in order to concentrate on homework and reading, he said, "I think that's a fight worth having."

Bottom line: Never mind that your kid is spending two hours on Facebook each night. As long as they do their homework without texting in between math problems, it's probably no better or worse than the hours you spent watching "Star Trek."

Source:news.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 am

Quote :
6 Diet Rules You Can Break!
By Joy Bauer, M.S., R.D., C.D.N.
Oct 28, 2010

It’s no secret that the number one diet “rule to live by” is this: to lose weight, you must eat fewer calories than you burn over an extended period of time. Beyond that, the rules of weight loss are actually a lot more flexible than you might think (and, as you probably know from personal experience, what works for one person may not work for another). Here are six universal diet truths that, as it turns out, aren’t always true.

1.You Must Exercise To Lose Weight. Controlling calories and food intake is key to shedding unwanted pounds (much more so than exercise). If you’re not able to be active or just can’t commit to a regular workout schedule, you can still lose weight without exercising if you carefully monitor your food intake. Of course, being physically active provides a whole host of health benefits outside of weight management, and for this reason I highly encourage everyone to incorporate fitness into their lifestyle. But if you absolutely can’t or won’t exercise, know that it’s still possible to achieve your weight loss goals.

2.Only Weigh Yourself Once Per Week. There is no “one size fits all” rule with weighing. Some people do better with daily weigh-ins and others with no scale at all; it’s really a personal choice. If you find that daily or weekly visits to the bathroom scale help you stay accountable, by all means, maintain your usual routine. If tracking your numbers tends to make you obsess a bit, you can always gauge your weight loss by taking occasional measurements or noting changes in your clothing size.

3.Dessert is a No-No. As long as you account for the calories, dessert
is perfectly okay—whether it’s berries, cookies, or a slice of rich, fudgy chocolate cake. Some dieters that I’ve counseled like to build in one portion-controlled treat per day—maybe two cookies or a low-fat ice cream pop. Others prefer to save up their “discretionary calories” and splurge on one decadent dessert per week from a restaurant or bakery. Whatever your preferred strategy, it is definitely possible to satisfy a sweet tooth without derailing your diet.

4.Portion Control Everything You Eat. Not true! You can overeat non-starchy vegetables to your heart’s content, as long as you prepare them in healthful ways. Non-starchy vegetables—like leafy greens, cucumbers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower and green beans—are incredibly low in calories, thanks to their high water and fiber content. They’ll fill you up and displace more caloric foods…and ultimately help you lose weight by eating more!

5.Never Skip Breakfast (it’s the most important meal of day.) Some people are just not naturally conditioned to be early morning eaters, and that’s completely understandable. There’s no reason to force yourself into eating breakfast if you’re not hungry, as long as you’re not having a problem with overeating later in the day. Instead, have a meal or mid-morning snack later on, when your appetite finally kicks in.

6.Salads Are Your Best Bet For Losing Weight. Sadly, some salads are actually more caloric than a loaded burger with a side of fries…those certainly won’t do you any favors on the scale. And if you hate salads and they leave you feeling completely unsatisfied, they can actually be counterproductive. If you view these diet staples as bland, boring “rabbit food”, you certainly shouldn’t feel obligated to include them in your meal plan. Find more interesting lunch and dinner options that excite your taste buds and satisfy your appetite. You’ll stick with your diet longer if you’re enjoying what you’re eating.

For more tips on losing weight, visit joybauer.com and follow Joy on Facebook and Twitter.

Source: health.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Quote :
The simple secret to great sleep
by Health.com, on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:48am PDT

By Nancy Rones

You already know that pregnancy pains and hot flashes can keep you tossing and turning at night. But there's a host of other, less-heralded health concerns that may be silently interfering with your shut-eye. Here's how to deal with these stealth sleep stealers, decade by decade.

YOUR 20s and 30s

Check your thyroid. New moms usually blame sluggishness or insomnia on the demands of parenthood, says Dr. Laura Corio, an OB-GYN in private practice in New York City and attending physician at Mt. Sinai Medical Center. But the true culprit may be postpartum thyroiditis, which 5 to 10 percent of women develop in the year following delivery.

Typically, it starts with mild hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid), which can rev you up and set off insomnia. After a couple of months, the condition may swing to hypothyroidism, in which a lack of thyroid hormone slows your body's functions, leaving you feeling constantly tired. If you're too jumpy to sleep or have extreme fatigue postpartum, see your doctor.

Health.com: 8 factors that could be keeping you awake at night

Say goodbye to sadness. Feeling blue can pack a double whammy when it comes to sleep: Not only can depression (which women are most likely to suffer from during their childbearing years) cause sleep problems such as insomnia, but some antidepressant medications may have sleep-related side effects.

Donna Arand, Ph.D., clinical director of the Kettering Sleep Disorders Center in Dayton, Ohio, and an American Academy of Sleep Medicine spokeswoman, recommends a two-fold treatment for insomnia with depression: cognitive behavioral therapy, a therapeutic approach which can be used specifically to target insomnia and bad sleep habits, plus talk therapy aimed at alleviating depression, adding or adjusting medication as appropriate. (The antidepressant trazodone may help with both insomnia and depression.)

Health.com: 7 signs of seasonal affective disorder

YOUR 40s

Notice when you go at night. If you're waking up to pee a lot more lately, don't assume it's a sign of aging -- you might actually have a urinary tract infection (UTI).

"Decreasing estrogen levels in the mid-40s leads to a thinning of the lining of the vagina and bladder, which makes perimenopausal women more prone to infection," says Corio, author of "The Change Before The Change."

Corio adds that women in their early 40s are often very sexually active, which can also lead to more UTIs. Talk to your doc if you notice a change in your bathroom habits.

Health.com: Gotta go? 13 reasons for urine trouble

Deepen zzz's with exercise. Deep, restorative sleep (called delta or slow-wave sleep) decreases in your late 40s, making nighttime awakenings more frequent.

Working out more may help. Your muscles and tissues are repaired during slow-wave sleep, Arand explains. When you give your body more repair work to do thanks to increased physical exertion, it responds by stepping up the amount of slow-wave sleep you'll get.

The type of exercise that's best for triggering slow-wave sleep isn't clear, but aim for 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity on most days, suggests Wilfred R. Pigeon, Ph.D., director of the Sleep and Neurophysiology Research Lab at the University of Rochester Medical Center.

Health.com: The 7 best fat-blasters

YOUR 50s+

Mind your meds. Prescription drugs you may be taking for high blood pressure and cholesterol could affect your pillow time. Diuretics (used to treat hypertension) can necessitate nighttime visits to the bathroom, says Dr. Annabelle Volgman, a cardiologist and the medical director of the Heart Center for Women at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.

If your doc says it's OK, try taking your pills in the morning instead of the evening. And statins for cholesterol-control can deplete your body's muscles of co-enzyme Q10, a natural protein required for normal functioning of muscle cells; the resulting muscle aches might make falling asleep a challenge.

If that sounds like you, Volgman suggests asking your doctor if you might benefit from taking a co-Q10 supplement.

Health.com: Supplements for cholesterol: what works?

Saw less wood. If you're a heavy snorer, your bedmate might not be the only one whose sleep is suffering. Chronic snoring is a major sign of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a disorder in which breathing briefly stops periodically while you sleep, interrupting and worsening the quality of your snooze time. OSA can have some heavy consequences, such as worsening or increasing the risk of developing diabetes, hypertension, or stroke.

"The risk of developing sleep apnea increases after menopause when progesterone levels drop," Arand says -- possibly because progesterone may help the muscles of the upper airway stay open.

Being overweight is also a big risk factor for OSA (and weight gain is a common occurrence during menopause); in some cases, slimming down can actually cure the disorder. Talk to your doctor about your sleep issues; with treatment, you could be snoozing more peacefully in no time.

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:21 pm

Quote :
9 Spices for Health, Energy and Longevity!
By Dr. Maoshing Ni
Oct 29, 2010

The colder weather is beckoning us back to our kitchens. Break out the spices to bring warmth, robust flavor, and a bounty of health benefits, including higher energy, increased immunity, and other life-enhancing surprises.

Considered to be dried seeds, fruit, roots or bark, spices have been valued for centuries by ancient cultures for their culinary and medicinal properties. For instance, a traditional Indian beauty trick was to spread turmeric paste on the skin to beautify it and prevent pimples. And Chinese doctors have used ginger since ancient times to cure aches and pains.

Here are some spices that you can start cooking with right away to elevate your longevity and health!

1. Garlic wards off heart disease

In addition to warding off Count Dracula, garlic, the spicy favorite in Italian fare, has been shown to improve cholesterol and lower blood pressure. According to the National Health and Medical Research Council, consuming half to one clove of garlic daily may reduce cholesterol by nearly ten percent. Your breath might suffer, but your heart will thank you. As an antibacterial, garlic is often used to treat minor infections.

2. Spotlight on cinnamon

Another ancient spice to recently come under scientific investigation is cinnamon. In the United States, cinnamon is usually thought of as the delicious spice in apple pie filling, but in other parts of the world, especially India and Asia, cinnamon has been used as a healing herb for centuries. Research is finally catching up to the wisdom of the East; many clinical studies have linked cinnamon consumption to lowered blood sugar. Both in vitro and human studies show improvement in insulin sensitivity with cinnamon polyphenols, as well as improvement in total and LDL cholesterol. Cinnamon is also thought to detoxify the system and stimulate brain function. Its antiseptic properties give it the ability to fight bladder infection, and if taken in the first 48 hours, a cup of strong cinnamon tea might just nip a bladder infection in the bud. Keep in mind that mixed study results make it difficult to prove these benefits on paper -- but it doesn't hurt to sprinkle a teaspoon into your next bowl of oatmeal.

3. Curry for joint health

Are your aching joints not jumping for joy in these autumn days? Try sprinkling some curry on your veggie omelet. Curry, a staple spice combo in Southeast Asian cuisine, contains turmeric, the yellow spice that gives curry its distinctive color. The active component in turmeric is called curcumin. If you are a fan of curry, you will be happy to know that this substance is associated with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-tumor, and anti-amyloid properties; amyloids are plaque-like proteins that build up in brain tissue, and are responsible for diseases like Alzheimer's and rheumatoid arthritis. In one randomized control study 107 patients with knee osteoarthritis received either 800 mg per day ibuprofen or 2 grams per day Curcuma domestica extract. Both groups showed improvement in pain on level walking and climbing stairs.

4. Star Anise aids digestion

As the name suggests, star anise is indeed star-shaped. Though it is not actually related to anise, star anise shares a similar licorice flavor, due to its content of anethole. Used to bring out flavor in slow-cooked meat dishes and long-simmered soups, this spice frequently makes an appearance in Indian cuisine and is an ingredient of the traditional five-spice powder of Chinese cooking. Star anise has been used in a tea to remedy rheumatism, and the seeds are sometimes chewed after meals to aid digestion.

Special combinations of spices and herbs can bring you a powerful immune zoom; one that includes star anise in the mix is the 5 Elements of Health, which promotes a strong immune function and balances the energies of your whole body.

5. Cardamom improves energy

Found in curries, rice dishes, herbal teas, and breads, cardamom is the spice that gives chai tea its main flavor. In Asia, cardamom has long been valued medicinally for its ability to increase circulation and improve energy. Considered an aphrodisiac in the Middle East, cardamom may also improve digestion, asthma, bronchitis, halitosis, and even help improve a bad mood.

6. Clove curbs cramping

A delicious addition to cooked fruit, roasts, sweet vegetable dishes, and teas, clove has been used since ancient times in India to improve digestive function. You may chew on some to alleviate toothaches, sore throats, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.

7. Cumin boosts immunity

An excellent addition to meat curries, stews, vegetables, seafood, and sauces, cumin is thought to boost the immune system and also to improve liver function, reduce flatulence, and aid in digestion.

8. Fennel Seed soothes your intestines

Often used to spice up recipes with meat, beans, or legumes, fennel helps digestion in two ways: It stimulates the production of gastric juices and also soothes the nervous system, regulating the action of the muscles that line the intestine.

9. Ginger: Remedies aches and nausea

A perfect compliment to vegetables, marinades, and sweets, ginger is also delicious in tea. Ginger may help relieve nausea, arthritis, headaches, menstrual cramps, and muscle soreness.

A word of warning: always discuss with your physician before treating conditions with spices to avoid any adverse interactions; for example, because garlic and ginger possess natural blood-thinning properties, individuals about to undergo surgery and those taking blood thinners should take extra precaution.

To maintain peak flavor, use spices within six months -- but the spice police won’t come knocking at your door if you keep them longer. They like to hang out in a cool, dark place in your pantry to preserve their oils and prevent loss of pungent flavors.

You can find many more tips about life-lengthening foods in Secrets of Longevity: Hundreds of Ways to Live to Be 100, now available on Kindle.

I hope you can use spices to make the most of your meals and your health! I invite you to visit often and share your own personal health and longevity tips with me.

May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

—Dr. Mao

This blog is meant to educate, but it should not be used as a substitute for personal medical advice. The reader should consult his or her physician or clinician for specific information concerning specific medical conditions. While all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that all information presented is accurate, as research and development in the medical field is ongoing, it is possible that new findings may supersede some data presented.
- - - - - - - - - -

Transform your health and bring quality to your years with Dr. Mao's natural health products from the Tao of Wellness.

Discover a high-quality water filtration system that will provide you with pure, healthy water.

Order Dr. Mao's new book Second Spring: Hundreds of Natural Secrets for Women to Revitalize and Regenerate at Any Age.

Learn hundreds of ways for living a long and happy life with Dr. Mao's book Secrets of Longevity.

Find out amazing ways you can naturally increase your energy and heal common ailments in Secrets of Self-Healing, Dr. Mao's landmark book on natural healing.

Source: health.yahoo.net

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Quote :
11 Best Fast Food Post-Workout Snacks Under 200 Calories
by Reader's Digest Magazine, on Fri Oct 22, 2010

Some protein bars can be more like candy bars, providing sugar and fillers rather than actual healthy nutrition. While a fast food restaurant may not be the best choice for a quick bite after your workout, these options are good. They provide protein, carbohydrates and, most of all, satisfaction for fewer calories than a Snickers bar.

Best in-hand option
No time to use utensils? A Starbucks latte gives you a dose of protein and carbohydrates to refuel.

Find out why this a perfect post-workout snack.

Find out why this a perfect post-workout snack.
Starbucks
Skim Latte (Grande)
130 calories
19 grams carbohydrates
13 grams of protein
See other options at Starbucks.

Best breakfast option
If you work out in the morning, this wrap will get much-needed protein to your muscles.

Dunkin' Donuts
Egg White and Cheese Wake-Up Wrap
150 calories
13 grams carbohydrates
8 grams protein
See other options at Dunkin' Donuts.

Best open 'till 2 a.m. option
For the night owl, Taco Bell has a Fresco menu that offers a few low-cal options that pack a good amount of protein.

Taco Bell
Fresco Crunchy Taco
150 calories
13 carbohydrates
7 grams of protein
See other options at Taco Bell.

Best drive-thru hand held
Wipe the sweat from your brow and cool off with this chocolately boost of protein and moderate amount of carbs. Men's Health swears by the muscle building power of chocolate milk.

Burger King
1% Chocolate Low-Fat Milk
190 calories
31 grams carbohydrates
9 grams protein
See other options at Burger King.

PLUS: 20 Secrets Your Waiter Won't Tell You

Best high protein option
Even though this isn't under 200 calories it's very close. And it has a commendable amount of protein and slow-acting good carbs in the form of beans.

Wendy's
Small Chili
220 calories
22 grams carbohydrates
18 grams of protein
See other options at Wendy's.

Best filling sandwich option for early risers
This sandwich will keep you filled up through to lunch. You can even add some veggie toppings for some more vitamins.

Subway
Black Forest Ham, Egg and Cheese English Muffin
180 calories
18 grams of carbohydrates
15 grams of protein
See other options at Subway.

Best sides as a snack option, plus a high-protein treat
These side dishes are perfect post-workout snacks, combining good carbs and an excellent amount of protein with low-calories.

KFC
Red Beans With Sausage and Rice
160 calories
26 grams of carbohydrates
24 grams of protein

Macaroni and cheese
180 Calories
20 grams carbohydrates
6 grams protein

2 grilled chicken drumsticks
160 calories
0 carbohydrates
20 grams of protein
See other options at KFC

PLUS: 11 Healthy Ways to Get More Lean Protein

Best protein splurge option
Remember your childhood with these crispy little bites. While this a higher fat option, this little treat has a good amount of protein for satiety.

McDonald's
4 piece Chicken McNuggets
190 calories
11 grams carbohydrates
10 grams protein
See other options at McDonald's

Best sweet treat option
For when you need a sweet fix. Plus, who doesn't get great joy out of eating one of these!

Carvel
Low-Fat Vanilla Flying Saucer
190 calories
35 grams of carbohydrates
4 grams of protein
See other options at Carvel

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 am

Quote :
9 Bathroom Cleaning Problems Solved
by Reader's Digest Magazine, on Mon Oct 25

1. "My shower curtain is crawling with mildew"
Wash it with a bleach solution. Shower curtains can be tricky to clean because they are big and cumbersome. Getting rid of mildew, especially during damp weather, can be especially challenging. Here’s a solution that’s quick, easy, and low-cost: Pour 1 gallon (3.7 liters) of warm water and 1⁄2 cup of household bleachinto a plastic bucket. With plastic gloves on, soak a sponge in this cleaning solution, give it a squeeze to avoid drips, and wipe. The mildew will vanish. Rinse using the showerhead.

2. "I’m ready to toss this filthy shower curtain liner"
Toss it in the washer. Don’t throw away your liner just because of mildew and dirt buildup. Extend its life by cleaning it in your washing machine. Set the machine on the gentle cycle with warmwater and 1 cup of regular laundry detergent or 1⁄2 cup of vinegar. Afterward, whirl it in your drier, set on Low Heat or Fluff, for about 20 minutes. Your liner will come out clean and wrinkle-free. Rehang it immediately.

3. "My brass fixtures look dull"
Polish them with baking soda and lemon juice. Don’t rush out to buy an expensive brass cleaner. Save time and money by making a paste with equal amounts of baking soda and lemon juice. Dip an old toothbrush in the mix and lightly scrub the fixtures. Let the solution dry a few minutes and then buff the fixtures with a clean cloth. They’ll look brand new.

4. "The nooks and crannies in my bathroom are hard to clean"
Use an old toothbrush. An old toothbrush is the perfect time-saving bathroom-cleaning tool. For example, you can use it to clean the tracks of your bathtub’s sliding glass doors. Simply spray bathroom cleaner on a paper towel and wrap the towel around the bristle end of the toothbrush. Then scoot the brush along the tracks to dislodge dirt. Or put the little bristles to work on the grime that collects around the rim of a bathroom sink. Once the bristles have loosened the dirt, just mop it up with a damp sponge.
5. "I hate those mineral deposits on my bathroom faucet"
Remove them with white vinegar. No one likes crusty white deposits on a faucet. Try this easy solution: Before you go to bed one night, head to your kitchen for a bottle of white vinegar and three paper towels. Saturate the towels in the white vinegar and wrap them around the faucet like a cocoon. In the morning, remove thetowels. Fill the basin with warm water, plus a squirt of dishwashing liquid. Dip an old toothbrush in the solution and scrub the faucet toremove the final bits of mineral deposit.

PLUS: How to Save on 8 Decoration Splurges

6. "I have scum buildup on shower doors."
Use furniture oil to prevent buildup. Cleaning soap scum off a shower door is a tough, time-consuming job. Try using lemon oil furniture polish as a barrier against the scummy buildup. The next time you clean the door, follow up by wiping it with furniture oil on a soft rag. Let the oil sit for two minutes and then polish off the excess with a dry cloth. The furniture polish will leave a slight film of oil that will act as a buffer against future soap scum. Using a shower squeegee (available at discount stores and supermarkets) after every shower will also discourage the buildup.

7. "My glass shower doors are filmy"
Clean them with vinegar, baking soda, and salt. Stubborn mineral buildup on glass shower doors is no competition for a few common household ingredients—white vinegar, baking soda, and salt. Spray vinegar on the door and let it sit for a few minutes. Next, create a paste with equal amounts of baking soda and salt. Use adamp sponge to rub this paste over the door; then rinse well.

8. "My bathroom grout is grungy with mildew"
Spray it with vinegar. Mildew on grout is no match for that miracle household cleaning dynamo called vinegar. Just pour somewhite vinegar into a container, dip in an old toothbrush, and scrub away at the mildew. Or pour the vinegar into a spray bottle, squirt it on the mildew, and let it sit for ten minutes. Rinse with water and apply the old toothbrush if necessary. Bleach is effective in removing mildew from tile grout. Fill a spray bottle with equal parts of household chloride bleach and water. Spray the grout, let it sit a few minutes, and then wipe with a clean white cotton cloth.

PLUS: 9 Fixes for Everyday Clutter

9. "Those nonslip bathtub stickers won’t peel off"
Loosen them with laundry presoak. You know the ones: They’re shaped like flowers and fish and are stuck on with industrial-strength adhesive. Instead of ruining the smooth surface of your tub trying to scrape them off, follow these simple steps for removing them: Carefully lift corners on each sticker using your fingernail or a plastic scraper. (Metal will scratch most tubs.) Spray the stickers with a good dose of laundry pretreatment product, such as Shout or Spray ’n Wash. Let the stickers soak in the spray for a few hours. This should loosen the stickers and allow you to peel them off. Wipe up any adhesive residue and the laundry spray. Clean and rinse the tub thoroughly.

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:59 am

Quote :
10 Signs You're Exercising Too Much
By Chelsea Bush, US News
Fri, Nov 05, 2010

Regular workouts are supposed to increase your muscle mass and decrease your body fat, right? Well, yes, with a caveat. Some folks ramp it up too much especially when they start a new training regimen to prepare themselves for, say, a grueling marathon or triathlon. (On a side note, I'm rooting for Chilean miner Edison Peña in this Sunday's New York City marathon. The 34-year-old trained for his first marathon by running up and down the pitch-black tunnels of the mine wearing his boots and headlamp.) Overdoing your workouts can actually lead to diminished strength and increased body fat—your body's way of begging for a break. While your body can handle a particularly tough workout, as Peña and the other 43,000 marathoners will see on Sunday, it also needs time to recover from the stress overload, says Corey Stenstrup, performance development trainer at IMG Academies. Peña may want to put his feet up for a week or two afterward.

The best way to recover from that particularly tough workout? A day or two of rest followed by a light bout of exercise, recommends Stenstrup. Also make a point to get at least eight hours of sleep a night which your body will need to repair those tiny muscle tears that occur during workouts and enable your body to build new muscle. Good nutrition is also key: Think lean protein (fish, skinless chicken breast, tofu), whole grains and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Here are the 10 ways your body will let you know if you're headed for exercise burnout.

1. Decreased performance. A drop in your workout performance is one of the earliest signs of overload, according to Jini Cicero, a conditioning specialist based in Los Angeles, Calif. Altered performance levels are often more apparent in endurance activities such as running, swimming and cycling, she says.

2. Disinterest in exercise. A significant decrease in motivation or enjoyment of the activity can be a major sign of burnout, Cicero says. This more often occurs in weight lifters, sprinters or soccer players who are driven by speed and power.

3. Mood changes. Depression, anger, confusion, anxiety and irritability are common when your body is overstressed physically. Those same stress hormones you release when you're emotionally stressed are also released when you're physically overloaded, Cicero explains.

4. Delayed recovery time. Persistent muscle soreness that lasts for hours or days after your workout is a sure sign you need more rest, according to Joseph Ciccone, a physical therapist at ColumbiaDoctors Eastside Sports Therapy in New York City.

5. Elevated resting heart rate. "When you put more stress on the heart, it has to work a lot harder," Ciccone says. An increase in your normal resting heart rate, say, from 50 beats per minute to 65 beats per minute, could indicate that you're placing excessive stress on your body.

6. Fatigue. Mental or physical grogginess is a hallmark sign of overtraining, says nutritional biochemist Shawn M. Talbott and author of Natural Solutions for Pain-Free Living, based on his research on over-stress patterns in professional athletes. "The knee-jerk reaction to sluggishness is to exercise for an energy boost, but it's a catch-22," he says. "Another workout might wake you up short-term, but you'll be worse off later on."

7. Insomnia. Being in a state of overload often comes with disrupted sleep patterns, so instead of getting that much-needed rest, Talbott says, "you become restless and can't fall asleep."

8. Diminished appetite. "A decrease in appetite can occur in the middle to later stages of overtraining, and goes hand in hand with feelings of fatigue and lack of motivation," says Stenstrup. By slowing down bodily processes like metabolism, the body attempts to force a reduction in its workload.

9. Fat gain. If you've lost weight but noticed an increase in body fat, you could be in the later stages of exercise overload. The body responds to prolonged stress by elevating levels of stress hormones, including cortisol, Stenstrup says. Over time this will lead to increased storage of adipose tissue, as well as inhibit steroid-like hormones that normally help increase muscle. A decrease in muscle mass can cause you to shed a few pounds, but this isn't a good thing since it means your body's less efficient at burning fat.

10. Weakened immune system. Don't try to push through that exercise funk, Talbott warns, "or you'll keep sliding down—to a weakened immune system, inflammation, and outright injury." Not a good thing. Prolonged overtraining can take weeks, even months, to recover from, and can put your health at risk. Chronic inflammation, for example, has been linked to diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Bottom line: Nurture your body and give it a much-deserved break when it needs to rest after that tough workout.

Source: healthy.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 am

Quote :
Use These 8 Foods to Help You Lose Weight
By Ryan Sullivan

Yes, you need to eat more fruits and veggies, but which ones?
Sure, we all know the basic nutrition rules when it comes to safeguarding our health and losing weight. In the words of best-selling nutrition writer Michael Pollan, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Sounds simple, but if you're interested in maximizing the amount of nutrients you get, you may want to be a little choosy when selecting among various options in each food group. Some fruits, vegetables, grains, and dairy products stand out as nutritional superstars, according to the latest research. And they're also easy on the calorie count to help you shed pounds. Consider incorporating these foods into your daily meal plan.

Watermelon
t's not only delicious, but packs a wallop of antioxidants like vitamins A and C. It also contains lycopene, a plant chemical found in studies to lower your risk of cancer, heart disease and age-related vision loss due to macular degeneration. Just as gratifying: One cup of cubed watermelon contains less than 50 calories, not too damaging for your waistline.

Avocado
This extremely versatile fruit can be used in salads, sandwiches, and guacamole. Filled with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, avocado is a healthful alternative to mayonnaise and can help lower "bad" LDL cholesterol levels. Just watch your portions. One-quarter of a medium-sized avocado contains 65 calories, so you don't want to overdo it.

Sweet Potato
A medium-sized sweet potato (about the size of your fist) fulfills your daily requirement for vitamin A and provides 4 grams of fiber. And you'll save half the calories compared to a white potato: A medium-sized sweet potato has only 150 calories compared to nearly 300 for a white one of the same size.

Salmon
This, as well as other fatty fish like tuna, mackerel, and lake trout, is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease. At only 160 calories for a 4-ounce serving, baked or broiled salmon is a great main course for those watching their weight. Add steamed broccoli and a sweet potato for a nutritious, low-cal meal.

Raspberries
They're a terrific dessert when paired with plain yogurt and a great natural way to tame those sugar cravings while keeping your calorie count to a minimum. A 1-cup serving of fresh berries contains just 60 calories. Raspberries are also a great source of B vitamins, flavonoids, fiber, and vitamin C.

Onions
A cup of chopped onions only contains 60 calories and using them in stir-fries, soups and casseroles is a great way to integrate the plant chemical quercetin into your diet. Quercetin has been found to have "anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties," according to the American Cancer Society, and may prove to be protective "against a wide variety of diseases, including cancer."

Greek yogurt
At 150 calories per cup, it makes a filling snack and also provides you with a hefty dose of protein. Eating adequate amounts of protein will help boost the results of any strength-training you do, helping you put on muscle—a key component for weight management. Every pound of muscle you add burns an extra 35 to 50 calories per day.

Quinoa
This grain has more fiber and protein than most grains with 3 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein per quarter-cup serving. That means it's more effective at keeping your blood sugar levels stable, leaving you feeling satiated and less likely to start eating again hours later. For this reason, it's also a smarter carbohydrate option than white rice and pasta if you have diabetes. Cook quinoa with fresh herbs, an array of vegetables, and a small amount of olive oil for a complete meal.

Source: health.usnews.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:26 am

Quote :
Wish You Were Headed For the Olympics? How to Train For 9 Winter SportsBy Katherine Hobson

Whether it's the luge or skating that draws you to the TV, you can hone the same skills in the gym.
It's easy to become a couch potato during the Winter Olympics. The weather is often cold, and if there's hot chocolate, central heating, and a good figure skating rivalry playing out on the tube indoors, why leave? Well, how about because you got some fitness inspiration? Even if you don't live near a speed skating oval or a bobsled run, the events you'll see being contested in Vancouver from February 12–28 can offer some guidance for your own workout. We talked to fitness pros to find out what skills and muscles are involved in nine Winter Olympic sports, then asked them for suggestions on how you can train accordingly in your own gym or community—even if you live where snow never falls. So pick your favorite Olympic athlete, get inspired, and have fun.

Alpine (downhill) skiing
Downhill skiing requires some serious lower-body strength; the glutes (rear end), calves, quads, and hip flexors all are involved, says Jennifer Burke, personal training manager at Crunch in New York. But when you're shooting downhill at 85 mph, balance is also crucial, so look for exercises that include both. Burke recommends squats while balancing on the flat, platform side of a Bosu ball, which looks like half of an inflatable exercise ball. (Warning: It's wobbly, so do it with the flat side down at first.) Also useful: single-leg balance with abduction. Stand on the floor on one foot, raise the other to the side with toes facing forward, then lower the leg back to the starting position but don't let it touch the floor, she says. (With all of these exercises, the number of sets and reps you do will be dictated by your fitness level.)

Skiing is a full-body sport, so don't neglect the abs, back, and upper body, says Gene Bridgewater, an alpine coach at the Aspen Valley Ski & Snowboarding Club in Colorado. One of his favorite moves: a power clean lift with a barbell, which involves squatting down, thighs parallel to the floor, and lifting the barbell off the floor onto the front of your shoulders. This can be tricky to learn, and you need to have the proper technique to avoid injury, so ask a trainer at the gym for guidance. Skiing requires quick bursts of energy and power, so in addition to strength work there's a lot of lactate threshold training–training at a higher heart rate than you'd use on a long-distance jog, for a shorter period of time.

Biathlon
Like one of the sports it includes, cross-country skiing, biathlon demands tremendous cardiovascular fitness. To improve your own aerobic endurance, you can do almost any activity—rowing, cycling, hiking—that you can keep up for a sustained period of time. Biathlon also is a full-body workout, so focus on exercises like lunges that work more than one muscle group at a time. To specifically strengthen the back (necessary to carry around that rifle), Burke suggests extensions: Lie face down on a back extension apparatus, which comes to the waist (leaving the torso free). Tuck your feet under the stabilizing bar. Cross your arms in front of your chest and bend forward as far as you can while keeping your spine neutral (i.e. not bent). Slowly return to the starting position.

Of course, it's tough to mimic the actual shooting part of biathlon in the gym, but circuit training—especially alternating periods of intense aerobic activity and then lifting or other forms of strength training—gives you the same variety. Mixing things up also helps you learn to focus intently on what's in front of you—an essential skill for biathletes.

Bobsled
Steven Holcomb, front, Steve Mesler, Justin Olson, and Curtis Tomasevicz
This might be the sport that demands the most total body agility, speed, power, and mental acuteness, says Burke. "A lot of the explosive power and agility is within the run and the push" before the athletes hop into the sled. After that, the ride down the chute requires a lot of core strength to steer and stay steady, she says. To build your own explosive power, she recommends standing long jumps or star jumps. To do a star jump, bend your legs at the knees, then jump up and out while opening your legs wide and arms out (like a star). When you land, bend your knees until your hands touch the floor, keeping your back straight and your head looking forward.

To more precisely mimic the sport, you can push either a heavy sled or a weight bench across the floor (probably best to save this for less crowded hours at the gym), says Gene Schafer, an athletic trainer and owner of Arc Athletics, a New York-based rehab and training facility. Another option, he says, is to use large, thick exercise bands to provide resistance as you sprint forward against their pull and then walk back in a controlled way to resist their retraction. And of course, if you live in or visit a snowy climate, just find a hill, grab a sled and some kids, and go for it.

Cross-country (Nordic) skiing
Kikkan Randall, left
More than anything else, cross-country skiing is a fantastic aerobic workout. You can build up your own endurance in a ton of different ways: cycling, rollerblading, snowshoeing, or—if you're looking for a mild-weather workout very similar to Nordic skiing—roller skis. In terms of muscles, cross-country works both the legs and, thanks to the vigorous pole work, upper-body muscles like the triceps and biceps.

One good exercise to build your arms: straight-arm pull downs, says Burke. Use a cable pulley machine, set the cable high, and attach a straight bar. Grab it, with arms slightly flexed. Place one foot slightly back and bend over from the hip until the shoulder is fully flexed and your upper arms are next to your head. Without bending your arms further, pull down until your hands are at your sides, then return to a starting position.

Figure skating
If you want to be even half as flexible as Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu, the two women representing the United States in the ladies' singles figure skating competition, you'd better spend a lot of time in yoga, ballet, or Pilates classes. But the competition, ever more driven by athletic feats rather than artistic expression, really depends on those jumps. That's where plyometrics—exercises that build explosive power—come in, Schafer says.

He recommends that when doing plyometric exercises like jumping up onto a box, jump squats (a squat into the kind of vertical leap you'd see in a basketball game), or step-offs (with one foot on a curb or platform, knee bent, push off into a jump and land on either the same foot or both feet), you focus on landing the same way you take off. If you bend your knees and swing your arms for momentum when beginning the exercise, do the same as you hit the ground. That works power and deceleration, Schafer says. "And try to land quietly," he says. (Pretend like there's an entire hushed arena listening.) "Anyone who can do that is a great athlete."

Ice hockey
There's really nothing like being on the ice, but rollerblading can mimic the motions of skating, says Schafer. So can a slide board, a slick surface that allows you to mimic the lateral motions of skating when you put on special booties. Those are used in rehab for ACL injuries, says Schafer, and provide a good aerobic workout. If you want to add in some strength training, have someone toss you a weighted medicine ball as you stroke from side to side.

To strengthen arms in order to do the strokes involved in hockey, the cable pulley machine at the gym is a valuable ally, Schafer says. It lets you use resistance in many different ways by changing the height of the cable origin and the angle and position of your body.

Luge
Though it may look like you just lie passively on a sled and hope not to crash, this sport actually works the core muscles—abs, back, hips, and glutes—as well as the arms (for the initial push-off) and neck, says Burke. "You're controlling the sled by contracting your core," she says. "And your neck has to be strong, because your head is up to see where you're going." Work on your core with a Pilates class, ab exercises, and back extensions.

Burke also recommends pull-ups and bicep curls. She also suggests incline prone front shoulder raises. To do those, lie on your stomach on a weight bench angled at about 30 degrees with your palms facing your sides, holding dumbbells. Raise the dumbbells until your arms are even with your ears, then return to starting position and repeat.

Snowboarding
Like downhill skiing, snowboarding involves incredible balance, says Schafer. One way to develop yours is to do upper body exercises like curls or presses while standing on the Bosu ball. Start out easy, standing on the inflatable ball with its flat side down. Once you're good at that, flip the equipment so you're standing on the flat part, with the ball side down. You can also do upper bod exercises kneeling on a regular inflatable exercise ball, if you're a balance superstar. If your gym has one, try an egg-shaped Indo Board balanced on top of a soft cushion (easier) or hard roller (difficult).

As far as specific muscles go, Burke recommends focusing on the hamstrings, quads, calves, abs, ankles, and feet. Single-leg squats (stand on one foot in front of a weight bench and squat until your glutes touch the bench, then stand up) and Russian twists (lie on your back on an inflatable exercise ball, feet on the floor and knees at right angles, hold a weighted medicine ball in outstretched arms, and rotate to each side) are both good exercises, she says.

Speed skating
This sport encompasses a variety of distances—from 500 meters, covered in less than a minute, to 10,000 meters, with a men's world record time of just under 12 minutes, 42 seconds. All of them require your heart and lungs to be in seriously great shape. Since speed skating facilities aren't found on every block, if you want to build up your cardiovascular fitness, do as the pros do in their off-season and cycle, cycle, cycle, either outside or in the gym on a stationary bike or in a spinning class. To make your workout super-efficient, channel short-track star Apolo Anton Ohno and try some interval training—short bursts of effort followed by a recovery period. (Or take a samba class in honor of his Dancing With the Stars victory.)

Burke also recommends tuck jumps, which work the major leg muscles involved in skating. Jump as high as you can, throwing your arms in the air, and, while in the air, tuck your legs into your hips. Land softly, with knees slightly bent. Or do speed skaters: jump from side to side, landing on one foot and swinging the opposite arm down to touch the toe, keeping your knees bent and your body low to the ground. See how many you can do in a minute.

Source: health.usnews.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:12 am

Quote :
Power Couples
By Karen Ansel, R.D., Women's Health
Thu, Oct 14, 2010

Whoever coined the phrase "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" might as well have been talking about the nutritional potential of food. "When we eat certain foods together, their components work in sync—they produce health-promoting results that far outweigh what you'd get from eating either food alone," says Elaine Magee, R.D., author of Food Synergy. To get the most punch from your plate, try these dynamic duos.

Chickpeas + Red Peppers
MORE ENERGY

One out of five women doesn't get enough energy-boosting iron. But eating more iron-rich food won't do much if your body can't process it. "The kind of iron that comes from plant foods is difficult for our bodies to absorb," says Heather Mangieri, R.D., owner of Nutrition CheckUp in Pittsburgh.

So all that iron from beans like chickpeas goes to waste? Not if you add some delish red peppers. The vitamin C in the scarlet veggie acts as a key and unlocks plant-based iron so your blood cells can get to it. Simply toss in roasted red pepper when making homemade hummus (or use red pepper as your primary dipping vehicle), and top salads with red peppers and chickpeas.

25 Superfoods for your body.

Spinach + Avocados
BETTER VISION

Spinach is packed with lutein and vitamin A, which are both amazing eye protectors. Avocado not only supplies even more lutein and A but also delivers the healthy fats your body needs to soak up these nutrients, says Hope Barkoukis, Ph.D., R.D., an associate professor of nutrition at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.

So top quesadillas and tacos with spinach instead of shredded iceberg, and then add the guac. Or mix up a spinach salad with avocado dressing (puree chunks of avocado with lemon juice, olive oil, and your favorite seasonings—even a simple combo like garlic, salt, and pepper).

Broccoli + Eggs
LESS PMS

If you suffer from a major case of the crankies every month, relief could be as easy as a trip to certain supermarket aisles. An Archives of Internal Medicine study found that women who downed the most calcium and vitamin D were 30 to 40 percent less likely to suffer from PMS crabbiness.

Two foods to reach for? Broccoli and eggs. Broccoli boasts one of the most easily absorbed forms of calcium found in food, while eggs are one of nature's best sources of vitamin D. Pair up these two foods in a broccoli frittata or an omelet.

Tomatoes + Olive Oil
SMOOTHER SKIN

Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found mostly in tomatoes, can help prevent sun damage. But for supple skin, don't eat them plain. First coat them in olive oil, says Mangieri. The healthy fats in this Mediterranean staple allow lycopene to be better absorbed by your body. And olive oil has its own skin-saving secrets. A study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that people who take in more olive oil are less likely to have wrinkles, possibly because it protects against the oxidative stress that causes skin to age.

These two foods were destined to be eaten together in Italian dishes such as bruschetta or Caprese salad. Get even more of a beauty bang by slow-roasting plum tomatoes in olive oil at 225°F for three hours. (Heating helps release more lycopene.)

10 Healthy things you can do with a tomato.

Yogurt + Ground Flaxseed
BETTER DIGESTION

Your gut is home to more than 400 kinds of bacteria, some friendly, others not so much. When the bad bugs outnumber the good ones, things slow down digestively and your bowels become, er, sluggish. Yogurts that are specially designed for digestive health can help by providing probiotics, good-for-you bacteria that get things moving again.

But you can't just eat those buggers and forget about them. Probiotics need to feed on prebiotics—specialized fibers found in foods like flaxseed—to survive and thrive. When you eat them together, you restore and then maintain the healthy balance in your belly. It doesn't get any easier than this: Sprinkle a tablespoon of ground flaxseed onto your probiotic yogurt. To dress it up, make a fruit and yogurt parfait with flaxseed granola to add some crunch.

Oatmeal + Apples
A HEALTHIER HEART

Oatmeal houses two superstar ingredients that help protect your ticker: beta-glucan, a cholesterol-lowering fiber, and avenanthramides, compounds that shield LDL cholesterol from harmful free radicals.

Pump up your breakfast bowl's heart-health quotient even more by tossing in a chopped apple. (Keep the skin on—that's where all the nutrients live.) Apples are filled with flavonoids, major-league antioxidants that also zap free radicals and take on inflammation to boot. Saute slices in a touch of butter and ground cinnamon, then chop and mix into your hot cereal.

5 Steps to a healthier heart.

Chicken + Sweet Potatoes
A STRONGER IMMUNE SYSTEM

It's hard to find a food that packs more infection-fighting vitamin A than sweet potatoes. But getting A without enough zinc—found in meats like chicken, beef, and pork—is like trying to start a fire without a match. "You need zinc to metabolize and carry vitamin A throughout your body," explains Barkoukis. "You won't be able to use that A if you don't have enough zinc to get it where it needs to go." So microwave a sweet tater and top it with some precooked chicken and cheese, serve up sweet potato fries (baked, of course) as a side with roast chicken, or seek out chicken and sweet potato soup recipes.

Pasta + Balsamic Vinegar
A TRIMMER TUMMY

When you down some pasta, are you hungry a few hours later? Try tossing it with some vinegar. "Vinegar's acetic acid slows down how quickly you digest and absorb glucose from starchy foods, so your blood sugar rises and falls more gradually," says Carol Johnston, Ph.D., R.D., director of the nutrition program at the College of Nursing and Health Innovation at Arizona State University in Phoenix. "That helps control hunger, so you're less likely to overeat later." Adding two tablespoons of vinegar to a starchy dish can slash postmeal blood-sugar surges by 20 percent, according to a study at Arizona State. Toss whole-wheat pasta with olive oil and balsamic, or shake up your pasta salad by experimenting with flavored vinegars.

Green Tea + Lemon Juice
CANCER PROTECTION

Green tea is a primo source of cancer-fighting catechins. But while these nutrients may be tough on cancer cells, they're total wimps in your stomach— only 20 percent survive the digestive process and make it out to your body to do it any good. A Purdue University study found that squeezing lemon juice into your green brew toughens up catechins, boosting the number you digest up to 13 times.

For even more cancer protection, stir in sugar (a teaspoon contains only 16 calories). The sweet stuff morphs catechins into a form that's three times easier to absorb.

Get a super-sexy body in six weeks.

Source: health.yahoo.net

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Quote :
5 Unexpectedly Unhealthy Kids' Foods
by CookingLight.com, on Tue Nov 2, 2010 2:42pm PDT

Yogurt, applesauce, whole grain cereal, fruit juice– these sound like staples of a healthy child’s diet, right? However, these wholesome sounding foods may really be full of fat, sugar, sodium, and unnecessary additives or have little nutritional value at all. Read on to learn how to decipher food labels and make healthier choices for your kids.

1. The PB & J

This classic kid food is perfect for lunchboxes and last minute meals, but the traditional version on white bread leaves much to be desired nutritionally. Commercial peanut butters are full of artery-clogging hydrogenated oils and added sugars. And spreading on grape jelly adds an extra helping of simple sugars. It’s easy to make your sandwich a nutritional winner, though, by using whole grain bread, natural peanut butter, and an all-fruit spread. The complex carbs and fiber in the bread combined with the protein and good fats in natural peanut butter deliver a filling and balanced meal.

See More: Superfast Sandwiches

2. Baked Potato Chips and Pretzels

There’s nothing good or bad with baked chips and pretzels – and that’s exactly the problem. Though these baked snacks are much lower in fat than traditional chips and puffs, they really offer very little nutrient-wise. Pack more nutrients into your child’s snack or sandwich accompaniment by offering whole wheat pita chips or baked veggie chips, both of which are higher in fiber, B vitamins and some minerals. Another fiber-rich option snack option is popcorn, which most people don’t realize is actually a whole grain.

3. Whole Milk

Everyone knows kids need milk for good bone health, but did you know that kids don’t need the extra fat that’s in whole milk? In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that children over the age of two years drink low-fat (1%) milk. Toddlers need the extra fat in whole milk from 12 months to two years for development; but, after that, the additional fat isn’t necessary and can add extra calories to kids’ diets. If your child is hooked on whole milk, then transition him slowly to the low-fat option by mixing whole or 2% milk with 1% or skim. And, don’t worry about missing out on any calcium and Vitamin D. All milks have the same vitamin and mineral content, regardless of the fat content.

See More: Budget Milk Tips

4. Apple Sauce

What could be more wholesome than applesauce, right? Think again. Most applesauce today is sweetened with added sugars and may even be tinted with artificial colorings. While there are nutritious ones out there, you have to know what to shop for. Look for the words “natural” or “unsweetened” on the label, which usually means the applesauce has no added sugars, just fruit. Double check the ingredient list to make sure apples and water are the primary ingredients. Organic varieties of unsweetened applesauce, which are made from apples grown on pesticide- and chemical-free farms, are available at some stores.

5. Packaged Lunches

Packaged lunches offer all types of deli meat, cheese and cracker combinations. Some varieties even have a drink and dessert included. Kids like having the option to build their own lunches; parents like the simplicity these lunches provide on busy mornings. However, these packaged meals are full of processed food items usually high in fat and sodium. We suggest making your own lunch combinations. Pack whole grain crackers or mini pitas with lean, low-sodium turkey or ham and cheese cubes. Round off the meal with a fruit and vegetable serving such as sweet cherry tomatoes, baby carrots or grapes. To save time in the morning, pre-portion items into individual containers the night before or when you get home from the grocery.

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Quote :
Wendy's sells new fries with potato skin, sea salt
By EMILY FREDRIX, AP Retail Writer Emily Fredrix, Ap Retail Writer – Wed Nov 10, 6:47 am ET

NEW YORK – With an eye toward appealing to foodies, Wendy's is remaking its fries with Russett potatoes, leaving the skin on and sprinkling sea salt on top.

The fast-food chain has been changing its menu to focus on "real" ingredients to win more fans.

The first move in the strategy was a new line of salads such as Apple Pecan Chicken in the summer. Now, the fries, which first appear on Thursday and roll out over the next two weeks. This is the first major overhaul of the 41-year-old company's fries, although it has adjusted the recipe in the past.

The new fries are slightly slimmer than the old ones, and crispier because they're smaller. They will have more salt, a medium size fry goes from 350 milligrams to 500 milligrams, and calories add 10 to 420. The selling price will not change, ranging from 99 cents to about $2. The fries will still come to stores frozen.

Wendy's is planning a marketing push, including national television ads airing later this month, to highlight the changes.

[List: The worst burgers in America]

"We want every ingredient to be a simple ingredient, to be one you can pronounce and one your grandmother would recognize in her pantry," said Chief Marketing Officer Ken Calwell, who declined to say what the Dublin, Ohio, company was spending on the effort.

People want more natural foods and they want to know where they come from, he said. Having the skin on is a way to remind people that fries come from potatoes, he said. Testing showed that some people think restaurant french fries are processed foods, he said. The old recipe used a blend of potatoes, not always Russett, but the fries were 100 percent potato.

Sea salt is being increasingly used in fine dining and in mainstream eating. Lay's, part of PepsiCo Inc., uses sea salt in a version of its natural potato chips.

The new fries are also cooked in a different blend of vegetable oils.

[What McRibs are really made of]

Wendy's worked with its suppliers to grow more Russett potatoes, so the new recipe will only cost a fraction more to produce.

The company, a unit of Wendy's/Arby's Group Inc., has never been known for its fries, Calwell concedes. Burger King in the late 1990s famously overhauled its recipe to be crispier.

Wendy's said its new fries have been selling well in five test markets, including New Orleans and Orlando, in the past eight to nine months, he said. Wendy's has changed its fry recipe over the years, by adjusting the blend of oil used to fry them, and the amount of time they go from preparation to order, among other things. But those changes aren't something that could be easily understood by diners, so they were never touted.

[Where to find amazing street food]

Fries are very important to restaurant chains because they're a staple, but they've never been a major part of Wendy's business, said Joscelyn MacKay, a securities analyst with Morningstar. The company has been known more for its beef, which is fresh, not frozen. Fries are more of an afterthought to Wendy's, so it's not likely this will drive new business.

"It's very consistent with their positioning but at the end of the day, it's going to be down to taste," she said.

Source: news.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 am

Quote :
The David Crowder Band Makes Amazing Things With Lite
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2010 12:51pm PST by Lyndsey Parker in Video Ga Ga

Contemporary Christian rockers the David Crowder Band have finally seen the light. The Lite-Brite, that is. The band's stunning new breakthrough video for "SMS (Shine)" just may do for Hasbro's beloved '70s electrical toy what the White Stripes' "Fell In Love With A Girl" video did for Legos or OK Go's "Here It Goes Again" did for treadmills.

Using stop-motion animation (with absolutely no computer graphics or effects), more than 700,000 vintage Lite-Brite pegs, and the help of 83 friends who'll probably never want to look at another Lite-Brite peg for the rest of their lives, the David Crowder Band created the video over the course of 2,150 hours and 148 pizzas. They literally made things with light, and the result--a 2D tale of true love--is electric indeed.

It might even make you cry a little...and not just with 1970s nostalgia: The video can be found in Random video's.

Wow. We bet OK Go wish they'd thought of this.

Source: new.music.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:21 am

Quote :
8 Ways to Stay Full Longer
By Danielle Braff, Woman's Day Wed, Nov 10, 2010

With post-gym starvation, afternoon slumps and evening noshing in front of the TV, it’s super-easy to think that you need more food—even if you just ate. To help keep your caloric intake within a healthy range, we spoke with experts as well as looked into the latest research to find out how you can stay full longer. Below, eight surprising ways to stave off hunger and, ultimately, unwanted inches. Photo: Stockbyte

1. Eat fatty foods. It sounds strange, but zapping all the fat from your diet will actually make you fatter.Your body needs unsaturated (a.k.a. “good”) fats to function properly and stay energized as well as absorb certain vitamins. Need some incentive? A recent study by researchers at the University of California, Irvine, showed that the unsaturated fat found in avocados and olive oil is converted into a compound that curbs your hunger. Just be careful not to overdo it. Make sure that only 30 percent of your daily calories come from fat, says Rania Batayneh, MPH, a nutritionist with The Sports Club/LA - San Francisco. If you’re operating on a 1,500-calorie diet, your meals should contain a maximum of 10 percent saturated fat, Batayneh says.

2. Chew gum. Even though you don’t technically consume gum, you can still feel fuller from it. A study found that if you chew gum for 60 minutes in the morning, you’ll consume 67 fewer calories at lunch. “There is some evidence that chewing gum can help with feelings of satiety and reduced appetite,” says Elaine Rush, PhD, professor at Auckland University of Technology. “The possible mechanism is not clear, but is [thought to be] associated with the chewing action as well as the taste, smell and flow of saliva.” To keep your choppers in good health, make sure the gum is sugarless; the sugar in gum wreaks havoc on your teeth. Plus, sugarless gum improves the flow of saliva, which further suppresses your appetite, Dr. Rush adds. Photo: Shutterstock

3. Snack on almonds. These all-natural treats contain fiber and unsaturated fat, which combine to create a superpower that makes you feel full. Not only that, a recent study found that you can shrink your waist by a whopping 14 percent if you eat a handful of almonds daily for just half a year. However, almonds are high in calories, so stick to no more than 3 ounces daily for the best weight-loss results. Photo: Thinkstock

4. Return carbohydrates to your diet. We know carbs and starches were practically banned a few years ago, but now they’re back and we’re learning that they’re way better for you than previously thought. Just like there are good and bad fats, not all carbohydrates are created equal. Opt for complex carbs, found in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, which take longer to digest and therefore help keep you feeling full. Potatoes also take a long time to break down due to a type of starch that resists digestive enzymes. Batayneh says, “Potatoes can actually work in your favor,” and often recommends that her clients eat half of a large potato every day with lunch. For even more nutritional value, go for a sweet potato, which is high in fiber and vitamins A and C. Photo: Shutterstock

5. Chow down on grapefruit. A study found that people who ate half of a grapefruit with breakfast, lunch and dinner lost nearly 4 pounds in just three months. That’s because grapefruit lowers your insulin, which regulates your fat metabolism, suppressing your appetite and burning calories faster. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for citrus juices, which typically contain a lot of sugar. If you want to have the grapefruit in juice form, squeeze it yourself and don’t add any sweetener. Photo: Stockbyte

6. Hit the gym. Going to the gym doesn’t just help you burn calories; a study in the American Journal of Physiology found that doing an hour of cardio will reduce your appetite for up to two hours after you’re done. The cardio reduces your levels of ghrelin (a hormone which increases your appetite) and increases levels of the hormone which suppresses your appetite. However, doing the same cardio day after day can eventually cause any positive effects it has on your metabolism to plateau. Be sure to mix it up at least twice a month with a variety of exercises, like biking, rowing, running and the elliptical machine. Photo: Jupiterimages

7. Try aromatherapy. It may sound new-agey, but a study found that people who smelled peppermint every two hours ate 2,700 fewer calories weekly, which caused them to lose a pound every week. The smell works on your brain, tricking you into thinking you’ve eaten and are therefore fuller than you actually are. Sniffing the peppermint more frequently works even better, so light a candle and you’ll be golden. Photo: Photo: Thinkstock

8. Grab some blueberries. Blueberries affect the genes in charge of fat-burning and storage, so eating them not only makes you feel full, but also helps get rid of extra belly fat, says Mitchell Seymour, PhD, research scientist. In Dr. Seymour’s study, the participants ate a cup of blueberries every day for three months, and lost 3 percent of their body fat. If fresh blueberries are out of season, eat frozen ones to get the same benefits. Photo: Creatas Images

Source: health.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 am

Quote :
It’s a Tablet. It’s Gorgeous. It’s Costly.
DAVID POGUE, On Thursday November 11, 2010, 1:26 am EST

Every time there’s some new hot, heavily hyped gadget from Apple, it takes only a few months for the copycats to crop up. IPod? Zune! IPhone? Android!

The iPad? Well, it came out in March, and the iPad alternatives are just landing in stores now.

Many of them run Google’s Android phone operating system. That’s a shrewd move. Android is mature, polished and free (to the pad makers), and it comes with an existing library of 100,000 apps. Furthermore, any gadget fan who’s used an Android phone will feel instantly at home on the tablet.

In other words, if you make an Android tablet, you can hit the ground running.

The most hotly awaited Android tablet is the Samsung Galaxy Tab, a sleek, sturdy slab, 7.5 by 4.7 by 0.5 inches. The glass front is a 7-inch multitouch screen; the back is off-white plastic.

Samsung sweated the details on this thing. The screen is gorgeous. The touch response is immediate and reliable. The whole thing is superfast and a pleasure to use.

When asked about the onslaught of Android tablets last month, Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, scoffed at their size (most are 7 inches diagonal instead of 10 inches, like the iPad). “This size is useless unless you include sandpaper so users can sand their fingers down to a quarter of their size,” he said.

Well, sure, if you’re used to a laptop or an iPad, seven inches isn’t much. You won’t see as much of the map, the e-book or the Web page without scrolling.

But the Galaxy doesn’t feel like a cramped iPad. It feels like an extra-spacious Android phone. And the payoff is huge. The Galaxy is much lighter than the iPad (13 ounces vs. 1.5 pounds), which makes a huge difference when you have to hold it to watch a movie on the plane. And it’s so small you can carry it in a blazer pocket.

You can even slip it into a jeans pocket, although you might walk around looking as if you have a pulled muscle or something. The Galaxy is almost exactly the size of the latest Amazon Kindle — and it makes a great e-book reader, thanks to the Kindle or the Barnes & Noble apps that let you read those companies’ e-books.

The feature list on this thing is eye-popping. This, of course, is the classic Apple-versus-Google “proprietary versus open” argument. Apple controls the hardware, the software and the app store, so everything is consistent, high quality and clean (meaning, among other things, no pornography apps). Google doesn’t monitor what goes into its app store, so the Android ecosystem is unlimited, chaotic and more confusing.

In any case, the Galaxy offers all of Android’s traditional high points, including many features you can’t get on the iPad. For example, you can customize its nine home screens by placing icons or mini info windows anywhere you like (they don’t have to sit in an organized grid). You can dictate text instead of typing it, or search Google or Google Maps by voice. (On the Galaxy, you can also type using Swype, which I reviewed in July.) You can use Android’s excellent turn-by-turn navigation app — it’s like a car GPS unit with an Imax screen.

There are front- and rear-facing cameras, too — take that, iPad! — with a flash, video, exposure controls and special effects. It’s a little weird to hold up this enormous slate in front of you when you want to take a picture. But it’s also awesome; when have you ever used a camera with a 7-inch screen? You’re practically seeing the enlargement as you frame the shot. It’s a digital photo frame that takes pictures. (The Galaxy stores 16 gigabytes, but also has an SD memory card slot for expansion.)

The Web browser offers the usual two-fingered spread-and-pinch techniques for zooming in and out. Because the Galaxy runs Android 2.2, it can also play Flash videos online (touché, iPad!). Or at least it’s supposed to. After some delay, I got Flash movie trailers and CNet videos to play, but at ESPN.com, the Play Video button just stared at me sullenly. (My Samsung rep says they play fine for him.)

E-mail works well on the 7-inch screen. As usual with Android, though, you process your Gmail in one app, and all other kinds of mail accounts in a separate one. It doesn’t make sense on an Android phone, and it doesn’t make sense here.

As smooth and slick and convenient as the Galaxy is, though, it’s not without its frustrations. When you visit sites like nytimes.com, CNBC.com and Amazon.com, the Galaxy’s browser shows the stripped-down, mobile versions of those sites. According to Samsung, there’s no way to turn that feature off and no way to visit the full-size sites. You can delete the little “m.” in the Web address until you’re blue in the browser, but the Galaxy always puts it right back.

It’s a little odd that you can’t recharge the Galaxy from your laptop’s U.S.B. port. It must be plugged into a power socket.

Another problem: most of the 100,000 apps on the Android store are designed for a phone-size screen, not a tablet. The Galaxy either blows them up, at the expense of clarity, or lets them float in the center of the larger screen with a Texas-size black border.

This problem, of course, was familiar to early iPad adopters: iPhone apps ran on the iPad, but couldn’t exploit the larger screen. But Apple encouraged programmers to come up with iPad-specific versions, and released a software-writing kit to help them along. Google hasn’t done that yet, so it may be awhile before 7-inch Android apps become the norm.

The biggest drawback of the Galaxy, though, may be its price: $600. You could buy two netbooks for that money, or four Kindles —or one 16-gigabyte iPad, with its much larger screen, aluminum body and much better battery life. (The iPad gets 10 hours on a charge; the Galaxy, about 6 hours.)

You can get the Galaxy for $400 if you’re willing to sign a two-year contract for cellular service. All four major American cellphone carriers — Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint — will offer it. The Galaxy gets online in Wi-Fi hot spots. But if you want to go online using the cellular airwaves, you’ll pay $20 to $50 a month, depending on the carrier and how much data you expect to use. (Good luck figuring that out. Quick: how many megabytes do you need for 10 Flickr pages?)

You can’t make regular phone calls on this thing. But you can send and receive unlimited text and picture messages (to cellphones) and conduct flaky video calls using an app called Qik. (You can’t make Skype calls, though. Samsung says it’s working on a fix.)

T-Mobile, by the way, wishes to point out the superiority of its deal. If you pay full price ($600), for example, you can sign up for cell service on an à la carte basis — $10 a week or $30 a month, for example — without a two-year ball and chain. And T-Mobile doesn’t charge extra to use the Galaxy as a Wi-Fi hot spot for your other gear, either — a neat, if battery-guzzling trick that would cost you $30 a month extra from, for example, Sprint.

So yes, the dawn of the would-be iPad is upon us. But the Android tablet concept represents more than just a lame effort to grab a slice of tablet hype. As with Android phones, it represents an alternative that’s different enough to justify its existence. You’re buying into a different approach to size, built-in goodies like cameras and GPS, and the more freewheeling Android app store.

With the Samsung Galaxy Tab, you’re also buying delicious speed and highly refined hardware. It’s just a shame that you’re buying all that for $600.

E-mail: pogue@nytimes.com

Source: finance.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am

Quote :
San Diego Man Balks at Scan
By Mike Krumboltz mike Krumboltz – Sun Nov 14, 4:29 pm ET

Folks have been surrendering their dignity in the name of safe air travel for years. Most of the time, this happens without incident. But John Tyner, who was scheduled to fly from San Diego's Lindbergh Field to South Dakota for a hunting trip on Saturday, drew the line when he was asked to submit to either a full-body scan or a very personal pat-down.

As a consequence, he was threatened with a civil suit and a $10,000 fine if he left the airport's secured area. An in-depth article from the San Diego Union-Tribune explains that Tyner was wary of full-body scanners for both health reasons and privacy concerns. He even went so far as to check the Transportation Security Administration's website before leaving for the airport to confirm that Lindbergh Field didn't use them. (When he arrived, he was surprised to see that the airport did indeed have them.)

The incident itself started when Tyner, 31, was directed toward the full-body scanner in the security line. Tyner refused, opting instead for the traditional metal body scan and a pat-down. When he was told that the TSA agent would have to conduct a kind of "groin check." Tyner balked, saying, "You touch my junk and I'm going to have you arrested."

That's when things got interesting. Various supervisors got involved, Tyner was pulled aside, the police came by, and a supervisor told Tyner that he wouldn't be allowed to travel unless he submitted to the check. Tyner opted to leave instead, getting a full refund for the ticket, but not before he was told that if he left the secured area he would be "subject to a civil suit and a $10,000 fine." Tyner left anyway.

After leaving the airport, Tyner wrote up a post on his blog detailing the incident as well as posted the video of his confrontation on YouTube. Both are drawing big clicks and even bigger searches. Many commenters on Tyner's blog are applauding him for standing up for himself. One person wrote, "My full admiration. Well handled, and well done." Another pledged to give Tyner $100 if the fine is actually levied.

In an email interview, Tyner said he isn't sure of what consequences, if any, he will face. He's not aware of any legal action "beyond what was threatened in the airport." When asked whether he was concerned about the possibility of being placed on the no-fly list, he said he wasn't "that concerned." However, he says he is troubled by the government's ability to limit his methods of travel because he exercised his right to privacy.

The TSA did not immediately returned to a request for comment.

Source: news.yahoo.com

This is way I don't fly anymore.

?
Back to top Go down
kane
Owner
Owner

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:17 am

Quote :
Energy Steps to Take for a Less Pricey Winter
by Linda Stern
Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Last winter's "Snowmageddon" is not expected to do a repeat performance on the East Coast this year. That's the good news for anyone who pays their own heating bills. But the bad news is that most fuel rates have risen.

he resulting bottom line is this: Most people will pay roughly the same amount for heat this winter as they did last winter, the Energy Department predicted on Tuesday. The average household heating costs between October 1 and March 31 will be $962, the Department said. That's just $11 more than last year's total.

[Click here to check savings products and rates in your area.]

As usual, people in the Northeast and who use oil or propane to heat their homes will pay the most. The average winter heating bill for oil customers there will be $2,225 this year, up 14.5 percent from last year, the department said in its latest projections. Northeastern propane customers will pay the most: some $2,685 between October 1 and March 31.

There are ways to minimize that, and here are a few:

Make Small Improvements

Homeowners have until December 31 to winterize their homes and get tax credits for it, the IRS has said. Items like high-efficiency heaters, water heaters and stoves all qualify for a 30 percent tax credit, up to $1,500. The catch is that the $1,500 ceiling is for 2009 and 2010 combined. If you used it up last year, you're done.

[See America's Top Debt-Fighters]

Make Big Improvements

There is a second tax credit that expires at the end of this year. You can also take a 30 percent tax credit if you install a solar electric system, hot water heater, geothermal pump, wind turbine or fuel-cell system. There's no cap on that credit, so it could be a good time to make a long-term investment in saving energy.

Call Your Utility

Many local utilities also offer deals that can cut heating bills. Some give away free programmable thermostats or offer home energy audits. Others offer discounts and rebates on efficient heaters and other appliances.

Get a Space Heater and Use It

Keep your house cool, and use the space heater in the room you're hanging out in. Annual savings? $1,023 if you use electric heat, according to the energy-saving calculator at MichaelBlueJay.com, a website that offers electricity-savings advice.

Consider Switching Suppliers

Enter your zip code at WhiteFence.com to see if there is another energy supplier in your area that charges less, or would cost less overall.

Finally, Make All of Those Tried-and-True Little Moves

Use heavy curtains or shades, close them at night and open them in the morning. Keep the house cool and wear sweaters. Seal windows and doors. Close off rooms not being used. Program the thermostat, or remember to turn it down when you go to bed and when you leave the house in the morning.

Pay Your Heating Bill With a Cash-Back Credit Card

If you are going to spend $1,000 this year, you might as well squeeze an extra $10 out of it for yourself. That assumes your card offers a 1 percent bonus, and that you pay off your card every month. You can use that $10 to buy some nice hot cocoa, sip it while you daydream about spring, and see if it warms you up.

[See When Not to Use Your Credit Card]

(Editing by Maureen Bavdek)

Source: finace.yahoo.com

?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ramdom News Atricles   

Back to top Go down

Ramdom News Atricles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next